Sting | Film Review

 

12-year-old Charlotte (Alyla Browne) finds a small spider in her apartment building and decides to keep it. But when the spider starts growing at a rapid rate, she soon discovers her new pet isn't what she thinks it is.

I would say that of all the films I've seen in the first half of the year, this was probably my most highly anticipated. And if not, it was right near the top! One of my absolute favourite genres is creature features, especially when the creatures are giant, so I couldn't wait to see this one!

Thankfully, I absolutely loved it!

For a start, the opening scene was great. It introduced the setting, it was intriguing, and more than that, it was actually quite scary! You don't exactly know where the film is going from this scene, but you're definitely along for the ride!

And along with the opening scene, came the opening credits, which were really imaginative and fun, and gave me a good feeling about what the rest of the film would be like.

I loved the characters immediately, especially Charlotte and her step-father Ethan (Ryan Corr). I connected with them really quickly and loved their relationship.

With movies in this genre, usually the creature is the most important thing, and so the rest of the storyline takes a bit of a backseat (which is sometimes necessary). But with this, the storyline itself was well-written and a lot better than I expected. 

I enjoyed the family drama aspect almost as much as the horror!

Tension is created really well, and makes the film a lot scarier than it otherwise could have been. Though I think I'm biased towards the scares due to actually having arachnophobia. I expect if you're not scared of spiders the film probably won't feel as scary as it could.

I was completely engrossed throughout and couldn't take my eyes off the screen at some points.

Overall, this is exactly what I wanted from a giant spider movie! It's not gonna get critical acclaim, but it's a really fun way to spend an hour and a half. 

I watched it twice to see if I actually loved it as much as I thought I did the first time, and I really did! I can't wait to watch it again!

7.5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

A Quiet Place: Day One | Film Review

A Family Affair | Film Review

Citizen Kane | 100 Movies Bucket List

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial | 100 Movie Bucket List

Girl Talk: Affordable Back-To-School Outfits