Abigail | Film Review

A group of criminals get more than they bargained for when they kidnap the 12-year-old daughter (Alisha Weir) of a powerful figure.

I was looking forward to seeing this film for a while, but my interest was piqued when I heard so many positive reviews!

Unfortunately, I liked the film, but not as much as I wanted to.

Though, I was very happy that the premise was original and unique, and I'm always here to support original, risky ideas.

The dialogue was well-written, particularly in the first half of the film. A lot of the humour is genuinely funny and fun to watch. It ended up being more of a comedy than a horror.

Music and sound were used really well throughout.

I also feel like the film would have been better as a complete surprise, without seeing the trailer. Once you know what it's about, you're just waiting for the 'thing' to be revealed.

It was clear from the get-go that the characters weren't as important as the story. And while this was fine, when this happens, the audience doesn't care about the characters. So when characters start dying, the impact is lessened.

And with this, I feel like if the characters had been developed a bit more, we could have been more invested in the story as a whole. But most of the characters are paper-thin and don't feel authentic.

The film also felt longer than it was. Each time you want it to end, and you think it's going to, it just keeps going.

Overall, this was a mixed bag. There were things I liked, but I really would have enjoyed seeing more character development, and possibly less comedy in favour of more horror.

5.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

A Quiet Place: Day One | Film Review

A Family Affair | Film Review

Citizen Kane | 100 Movies Bucket List

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial | 100 Movie Bucket List

Girl Talk: Affordable Back-To-School Outfits