Immaculate | Film Review

When a nun (Sydney Sweeney) joins a convent in Italy, she soon discovers sinister secrets and finds herself trapped in a horrifying nightmare.

All I knew about this movie before seeing it was that it was a horror movie starring Sydney Sweeney that was getting great reviews, so I was looking forward to seeing it.

Unfortunately, I didn't really like it.

For a start, for me personally, religion-based horror movies, exorcism horrors and horrors based around nuns/convents feel a bit overdone.

But having said this, once I knew what the film was actually about, it was definitely more original than other similarly themed movies.

It took quite a long time to really get into the story, which could be a bit frustrating at times.

The film was very tense but was never as scary as it could have been. There were definitely times when it could have leaned further into the horror.

The characters are quite one-note, and their personalities, while distinct, aren't particularly fleshed out.

Some parts of the film kept me completely invested, but for other stretches of time I was a bit bored.

Overall, while I think the concept is original and interesting, the film isn't as good as it could have been.

5/10

Comments

Popular Posts

A Quiet Place: Day One | Film Review

A Family Affair | Film Review

Citizen Kane | 100 Movies Bucket List

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial | 100 Movie Bucket List

Girl Talk: Affordable Back-To-School Outfits