The Tenant | 100 Movies Bucket List

 

One thing I would add to the bucket list is a lot more psychological horrors. I feel like this is a really underrated sub-genre, particularly when looking at classic movies, so even though I knew nothing about this movie, seeing it classed as a psychological horror made me excited to see it.

I liked this film.

The best thing about movies like this is the way everything builds. Going in blind, you don't even really know what the movie is about, so you get to fall deeper and deeper into it in the same way that the main character does.

The pace is great, a lot happens in a short space of time. You're immediately invested, and the more room there is for weirder things to happen, the more interested you are.

This does sometimes make the film feel longer than it is, as it packs a lot into a short time, but because you're interested in what's happening the runtime never really becomes an issue.

As the audience, we feel like we're living in this apartment alongside the characters. The building becomes a character in its own right, and the fact that it's one of the only locations used gives everything a sinister, claustrophobic feel that works really well with the tone of the film.

The group of characters is really interesting. In both the way they're written and played, they all feel three-dimensional and authentic.

It's fascinating to see the main character's descent into madness. The more things progress, the deeper you sink into the story, and the better it gets. I probably would have sacrificed some of the characters if it meant we could have seen more of this descent.

The closer it gets to the end, the better it gets. The more the character spirals, the more powerful and intense it is.

And the ending is great.

So I enjoyed this film and would recommend it. It moves slowly at times, but has compelling characters and great writing - definitely one to see if you're a fan of psychological horrors.



Comments

Popular Posts

Louise Pentland Inspires Me

The YouTuber Book Rant!

Faking Confidence!

April Favourites | 2015

My 300th Post!