Hitched for the Holidays | Blogmas Day 20

 Hey Guys x

I watched this film, and gave it a mini-review, about two years ago. This year, as Christmas movie fatigue was setting in, I was searching for something familiar, that I already knew I liked, and out came this film. Because I only gave it a mini-review last time, I decided to include it in Blogmas.

When Julie (Emily Hampshire) sets herself up on a dating website, looking for a platonic Christmas date, she meets Rob (Joey Lawrence), who is looking for the same thing. So the two decide to be each other's dates for the entire Christmas period, telling their families that they're a couple. But will they catch real feelings along the way?

I'm so happy that I still love this movie as much as I loved it when I first saw it. And that love has grown now that I know Emily Hampshire from Schitt's Creek.

Stories with this plot are always unrealistic, but with this one, the reasoning behind them needing fake dates kind of makes sense. You might not do it yourself, but you get it.

The characters meet in a realistic way, and they are both going into the relationship with the exact same expectations. Everyone, including the audience, knows where they stand.

Julie and Rob have great chemistry from their first meeting. You enjoy watching them, and they're a couple that you can root for. They are also just good characters in their on rights, which is why they work so well together.

One thing that the film got really right was the 'meeting the family' scenes. The audience gets introduced to a lot of interesting personalities, and there are enough meetings that we get to know these characters, in addition to our mains. 

As much as this is a light Christmas movie, there are great moments of seriousness and drama. This mix of these serious moments with the light-hearted Christmassy moments worked really well.

The only problem I had with this film was the conflict. Or, more accurately, the result of the conflict. Everything that happens makes sense, but it is really over the top, and probably wouldn't have potentially ruined their relationship if it was real life.

The ending was really satisfying, and while it doesn't make you feel particularly festive, it is a Christmassy, feel-good movie that I'd definitely recommend.


Originality - 5/10

Christmas Spirit - 4/10

Christmas Music - 3/10


It's 5 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas day 21!

Lou 

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review