A New York Christmas Wedding | Blogmas Day 6

Hey Guys x

It's Blogmas day 6!

For some reason, I heard a lot of really negative things about this movie in the run-up to watching it. In a way, that made me want to watch it more, to see what the negativity was about.

Jennifer Ortiz (Nia Fairweather) is planning her Christmas wedding when she gets a visit from an angel (Cooper Koch), giving her the chance to see what her life would have been like if she had followed her heart as a teenager. 

I was really surprised by how much I liked this film. But it definitely wasn't perfect.

The start of the movie left a lot to be desired. It throws you in at the deep end and is actually a bit confusing at times. You don't really know what's going on, and it doesn't make you interested in these characters. We don't know this character enough to understand her reactions, so we can neither sympathise nor empathise with her.

For me, with the beginning of the movie, we either need more backstory, or less. The way it's currently set-out feels a bit unnecessary. The film has teased these characters, but hasn't let us know them.

However, the story gets a lot more interesting as it goes on, particular when we meet an adult Jennifer and Gabrielle (Adriana DeMeo). These characters suddenly become really endearing and sweet.

I actually would have preferred this to be just a cute love story without the backdrop of Jennifer's real reality. I found it kept pulling my mind back, and I couldn't fully enjoy the current story.

This film isn't really what it says it will be. It claims to focus on Jennifer's life, but it does spend quite a bit of time examining the relationship between religion and gay marriage. Not that this wasn't important, but it felt really separate from the rest of the film, which was a bit lighter.

However, because of this, the film is a lot more original than the description suggests, and I definitely think it deserves credit for that.  

Jennifer and Gabrielle have really great chemistry, and that was my favourite thing about the film. They are a really nice couple and I would definitely watch a different film about them.

And it had a really nice ending that pulled everything together. It didn't leave me feeling Christmassy, but I did finish the film feeling happy, so there's that!

Overall, I can understand why some people didn't like this film, but I would still recommend it because I really enjoyed it!


Originality - 7/10

Christmas Spirit - 2/10

Christmas Music - 5/10


It's 19 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas day 7!

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review