Dolly Parton's Christmas on the Square | Blogmas Day 24

 Hey Guys x

Happy Christmas Eve!

I deliberately saved this movie until Christmas Eve. I had no idea what it was about, but strangely it was the one that I was the most excited to see. Who doesn't want a Christmas musical?

Regina (Christine Baranski) plans to sell a small town despite the anger of the town's inhabitants. But can a Christmas Angel (Dolly Parton) show her the true meaning of Christmas, and save the town, before it's too late?

First of all, how camp is too camp? Is there such thing as too camp? Because I definitely feel like this is flirting with the line of being too camp.

The basic premise itself isn't anything extremely new. What makes this story so fresh is the original music, written by Dolly Parton. The music elevates the film. Even if you don't like the film, there will be a song that speaks to you.

However, I found that some of the songs went on for a bit too long. There were times where I was listening to one of the songs, and by the time the song ended, I forgot how it started!  

Rather than a film, this kind of feels like watching a pantomime. Everything is cheesy and over-the-top. The film knows exactly what it is, and never tries to be anything else, and I loved that.

Even without the singing, the story itself was actually more interesting than I expected it to be. You become invested in the story. It is much deeper and darker than you expect it to be.

The thing about this film is that you'll either like it, or it won't be for you. For me, as much as I could understand what made it good, and as much as I appreciated the music, it wasn't my cup of tea. I'd watch it again, but I didn't completely love it.

Overall, this is a lovely, though predictable, story, with an interesting plot, and great music! It's a Netflix original, so check it out.


Originality - 5/10

Christmas Spirit - 7/10

Christmas Music - 10/10


I won't be posting tomorrow, so I hope everyone reading has an incredible Christmas! I'll be back here on the 27th with a Favourites post.

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review