Happiest Season | Blogmas Day 1

 Hey Guys x

Happy Blogmas Day 1! I can't believe it's actually December already!

I only purchase/rent movies from Amazon Prime Video very occasionally, but as soon as I saw that this was out, I knew I'd be buying it. I had been excited to see it since the first trailer came out, so I thought that it was only right that I start Blogmas with it.

Abby (Kristen Stewart) is planning to propose to her girlfriend Harper (Mackenzie Davis) on Christmas morning at Harper's parent's home. However, when they get there, Abby realises that Harper hasn't come out to her parents. Can their relationship survive going back into the closet?

I knew I would like this film, and I'm so glad I did.

Even before it starts, the cast is amazing! Other than Stewart and Davis, we have Alison Brie as Sloane, Aubrey Plaza as Riley, Dan Levy as John, Mary Holland as Jane, and Harper's parents are played by Mary Steenburgen and Victor Garber! Seriously, how amazing is this cast?!

But back to the actual film. It's such an interesting story, and would be even if it wasn't set during the Christmas period. However, even with the heavy subject matter, it still feels Christmassy.

I didn't expect it to be as funny as it was, and I didn't expect that humour to come from unexpected characters. So much of it is the kind of humour that feels completely unintentional, which makes it even funnier.

All of the characters, particularly those in Harper's family, are so great and interesting that at points, Harper and Abby, while being our main characters, are the least interesting. For me, the family completely makes the film, and it's always funny to see different family dynamics. Jane was my absolute favourite of the family, I absolutely loved her character.

With all the Christmas films we've seen over the years, it's really rare to have a unique conflict that isn't just 'communication issues'. Particularly because you can completely empathise with both of these characters.

Having said that, I didn't think I would end up picking a side, but I did, and it was Abby's. You start to feel frustrated with Harper at the same point that she does. In fact, sometimes watching them make decisions is like watching the moment right before a car crash. You know something bad is about to happen, but you don't know what.  

I found that I didn't really 'get' Harper until the last third of the film. But when I started to understand her, the family became a lot less endearing.

Speaking of the characters,  Abby was fine as a main character, but despite being likeable, she is quite a passive character. She doesn't really get that much to do outside of reacting to the family's behaviour.

However, the last third of the film, for me, is the best of the film. It takes on a darker tone, and this area is where it shone. There were so many beautiful speeches and important moments. 

As a Christmas movie, Christmas is more of a background character than a main plot point. Because of this, while the film does have a Christmassy feel, it probably won't make you feel as festive as other Christmas movies.      

Overall, I really liked this movie, and I would definitely recommend it. If I was giving it a proper rating, it would be a solid 7/10.


Originality - 8/10

Christmas Spirit - 5/10

Christmas Music -  6/10


It's 24 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas Day 2!  

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review