Guess Who's Coming to Christmas | Blogmas Day 12

 Hey Guys x

Blogmas Day 12 is my birthday, so I always try to review something significant. However, for this year, I had nothing. So I ended up going on Amazon Prime and picking a film that sounded interesting, that I'd never heard of before. And funnily enough, it's ended up being one of my favourites so far! So I'm very happy with my Birthday Blogmas choice.

Dax (Drew Lachey) is a rock star in need of some inspiration, and a serious need to repair his public image. So, on his manager's request, he grants a fan's wish of going to stay in a town that he's never been to, with a family he doesn't know. But will Dax find more than he bargained for in Cedar Grove?

As I made clear from the intro, I loved this film. Of course, it's a Christmas film, not a masterpiece, but it gave so much more than I expected.

For a start, the idea was original, and had a lot of potential to go in a few different, equally interesting ways.

I found that it didn't take me a long time to understand these characters. They were great in their own right, but they also worked well together. Not only that, but they were all really endearing. It may take a while to warm to them (particularly Dax), but you slowly end up loving them.

As well as that, for quite a short film, there was a lot of character development, which I found really interesting.

This film has a real family feel. Not only because family is an important part of it, but because these characters actually feel like a family. There were good pieces of dialogue between them.

Dax and Kelly (MacKenzie Porter) had really great chemistry, especially when they were butting heads. It was really nice learning more about them as they learnt more about each other.  

I found that I quickly became emotionally invested in this story, and in these characters.

However, that's not to say that the film was perfect.

For a start, Dax seems to get used to this life, and this family, extremely quickly. Because they made a lot out of this family's lifestyle being so different from his real life, it seemed a bit unrealistic that it took him such a quick time to adjust.

In addition, the conflict between Dax and Kelly only happens because the film tries too hard to force them (mainly Dax) into stereotypes. The drunk church scene, for example. Particularly because a lot of the things he does in order to force this 'bad boy' image have little-to-no impact on the story. Having said that, their main conflict does make sense in the grand scheme of the film.

Speaking of Dax and Kelly, while they are a great couple (maybe my favourite couple of Blogmas so far), I don't know if they'd last once Christmas ends and they get back into the real world.

And then there's the Christmas aspect. While the Christmas concert at the end of the movie was a focus, there was so little Christmas in the film that I forgot I was supposed to be watching a Christmas movie!

Overall, I loved this movie, and it is my favourite of Blogmas so far. It probably won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it was definitely mine!


Originality - 6/10

Christmas Spirit - 3/10

Christmas Music - 3/10


It's 13 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas day 13!

Lou     

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Anyone But You | Film Review