2020 Favourites!

 Hey Guys x

If you read yesterday's post, you knew that this was coming. I love doing these posts, mainly because I get a snapshot of everything I've been watching, reading and doing over the past year. I have quite a few favourites this year, so let's get into it!

Favourite Movie (1): Rocketman

I have spoken about this film so much on the blog that I don't think I have anything left to say! But it's the film I've watched the most in 2020, and it's a film that I still love. I won't go on, but this list wouldn't have been right without it.

(2): The Trial of the Chicago 7 
Again, I've spoken about this a lot since I saw it, so I won't say too much. But this is a Netflix film that I saw back in October and loved. If you want to know my full thoughts, you can read my review HERE.

(3): Parasite

It feels like the Oscars happened a million years ago! But of the Oscar nominated films I saw this year (I saw most of them last year), this was the best, and I'm so glad that it won Best Picture, because it really deserved it. You can read my review of the film HERE.   

(4): Countdown

I can't believe it was only this year that I saw this film! But it was such an unexpected surprise that I had to include it here. I didn't expect it to be anything special, and I certainly didn't expect to love it. You can read my full review of it HERE.

(5): Mary and Max

I've written about this one before, but again, it wouldn't feel right not to mention it. It's about the friendship of an eight-year-old girl and a forty-four-year-old man, which takes place solely through letters. It's a beautiful story, and by the end you'll probably be emotionally drained, like I was. Definitely watch this if you can!

(6): Train to Busan

I can't believe that I only saw this film for the first time this year. But not only is it one of the best films that I've seen this year, but it's one of the best horror movies I've ever seen! I didn't know that much about it before watching, and I'm glad that I didn't, because that just made the whole concept that much more intriguing. Of all the films I've loved this year, this is probably the one that I'll still be re-watching in 5 years time - who doesn't love a great horror film?

(7): Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

I didn't realise the effect that this film had on me until I was deciding what to put in this post. I watched it, loved it, watched it again and loved it even more. This is a film that deserves to be watched and re-watched. It was incredible, and incredibly under-rated. It's a true story about actress Gloria Graham, and her relationship with a younger man called Peter Turner. Watch this film.

Favourite TV Show (1): Schitt's Creek

I feel like I haven't watched a lot of new TV shows this year, but one that I started and finished in 2020 was Schitt's Creek. There is a reason why so many people love this show, there is a reason that it won as many Emmy's as it did. Not only is it a hilarious sitcom, but it's an important one. Watch this if you haven't yet.

(2): Bodyguard

This was a surprising one. I watched it without really knowing what it was about, and was so pleasantly surprised! This is a 6 episode show that is completely packed with action and drama. It's about a bodyguard who is assigned to protect the Home Secretary even though he doesn't agree with her politics - and that's putting it mildly! 

(3): Modern Family


I started re-watching this show on Netflix this year, and just found a new love for it. I watched the first 6/7 seasons ages ago, but never finished the show. Now that it's completely done, I wanted to watch it from beginning to end, and I'm so glad I made that decision because it's such a good show!

Favourite Song (1): Border Song


    
As you can see, Border Song was my top song of the year on Spotify, so obviously that's the one I had to start with. I've talked about this song, the soundtrack and the film so many times, but I just wanted to say again how beautiful this song is. The Rocketman album in its entirety is amazing, but this one... there aren't enough words to convey how incredible it is.

(2): Les Misérables: The Staged Concert 2020 Live Recording

I've written about Les Mis before, but now I'm specifically giving love to the Staged Concert version of the soundtrack, which hasn't been out for that long. I love the movie soundtrack, and while this one isn't exactly the same, the fact that all of the songs were done live, that you can hear the audience cheering, just adds something to this version that the movie one doesn't have. This is on Spotify, so check it out and see what you think!

(3): Stand Up

This is a song by Cynthia Erivo, from the soundtrack to Harriet (which I still haven't seen!). The song was nominated for an Oscar, and although it didn't win, the Oscars was the first time that I heard it, and I'm really glad it was nominated because it's such an amazing song. If you haven't listened to it, listen to it now.

(4): Ashes

This is a song by Celine Dion that is on the Deadpool 2 soundtrack. I didn't listen to it for the first time this year, but this year was the first time that I really listened to it, and completely fell in love with it. I listen to this song over and over again, and I love the fact that it comes from a Superhero movie!

Favourite Actor (1): Taron Egerton

I've only become a proper fan of Taron this year, after seeing a few of his movies, and I don't know why it took me so long! Over the months my love for him has come and gone, but because I watch Rocketman so often, he's always present in my life! Being a fan of his has forced me to made me discover so many amazing movies and shows, and I'm so glad that I discovered him this year.

(2): Dan Levy

Of course I could have the whole cast of Schitt's Creek here, but Dan slightly edges out his cast-mates because I saw 'Happiest Season' recently and he was the best part of it. I've been watching Schitt's Creek all year and I am in awe of Dan, particularly because he created the show alongside his father, Eugene Levy, and also writes, directs and produces it. How amazing is that?!

(3): Mindy Kaling

I've been a fan of Mindy for a while, but recently I've been listening to the 'Office Ladies' podcast, hosted by Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey from 'The Office', and they've talked about Mindy writing some of the episodes, and how much they enjoyed working with her. Not that I didn't already know how talented Mindy was, but this just confirmed it. Plus I watched Late Night this year, and the first few episodes of the Mindy Project. She's amazing, and a real inspiration.

(4): 'Girlfriends' Cast

I have been obsessed with the show 'Girlfriends' recently. The main four characters are played by (From left to right) Persia White, Tracee Ellis Ross, Golden Brooks and Jill Marie Jones. Not only do I love the show, but I love the actresses. I know them from a few of their different projects, but I think they did amazing things with this show - and it's crazy to me that the show is not only so good, but so relevant, 20 years on.

Favourite Book (1): Lies by T M Logan

This was my book of the year, without a doubt. I can't rave about this book enough. I have read two more of T M Logan's books, but this is the best one by far. I haven't been that excited and nervous while reading a book in a long time, and I really hope that I find a book that I love as much as this one in 2021.

(2): The Guest List by Lucy Foley
If 'Lies' wasn't my favourite book of the year, it would definitely be 'The Guest List'. This was a book that completely took me along on a journey. Every time I picked it up, I was a wedding guest, I was involved in every storyline, and I loved that. It was a great story, with a great ending, and I wish I didn't know how it ended so I could read it again!

Random Favourites: Podcasts



These are four podcasts that I've been completely devouring in 2020. I've spoken about 'Shagged Married Annoyed' before, and I think I've mentioned David Tennant's podcast too. But each of these podcasts brings something different. Whether it's hearing the hilarious arguments of a married couple, hearing interesting conversations, hearing behind-the-scenes details of one of my favourite shows, or hearing a couple's journey to parenthood, these podcasts helped me through 2020, and I would urge everyone to listen to all of them!

And after that extremely long 2020 Favourites post, I'm done! 

What have you loved in 2020?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review