Marry Me for Christmas | Blogmas Day 15

 Hey Guys x

I randomly found this movie on Amazon Prime Video, watched it, and then found out that there are four sequels! I'm not going to subject you to reviews of all 5 movies, but I did watch the next two (to make it a trilogy a la The Christmas Prince). So, spoiler alert, you'll be seeing marriage and babies over the next two days.

Marci (Malinda Williams) goes home for Christmas with her employee, Adam (Brad James) in tow. To appease her family, the pair pretend to be engaged.

I didn't love this film, but I did find it interesting.

For a start, I've seen this premise in a few different ways and it never feels realistic to me. There are other ways to keep working without bringing your employee to your family home for Christmas. There are other ways to appease your family than faking a relationship. And also, so many of these movies involve bringing someone unexpected home for Christmas. How does the family have the space to accommodate them? How comfortable are they about sharing their home with someone they've never met? 

But anyway, back to this film. The storyline, while unrealistic, is interesting and enjoyable to watch.

And then suddenly, what you're expecting completely changes. The premise doesn't do justice to the actual plot of the film, but it avoids spoilers, so I don't mind too much. It's actually the first Blogmas move I'm reviewing that I'm actively trying not to spoil.

I found that, while most of these characters are charismatic, there isn't a lot of chemistry with these characters. Whether there's a romance or not, you're not really watching the film for that. And that would be fine, if the film didn't try to force romance where it didn't need to be.

Without spoiling, the ending of the main story is really anticlimactic. It started in a really interesting way, then kind of died and faded away. More than anything, it was disappointing.

And then there's the romance. I won't say much so I don't spoil it. But 'I was mad at you because you didn't like me' isn't a declaration of love in any way. I liked the character, but hated this line!

And then there's the ending. I didn't like it, but it made a lot more sense after I found out there were sequels.

Overall, this movie isn't what you expect, so I'd definitely say give it a try. You might be surprised.


Originality - 7/10

Christmas Spirit - 4/10

Christmas Music - 3/10


It's 10 days until Christmas!

Come back tomorrow for Blogmas day 16!

Lou   

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Anyone But You | Film Review