Book Review #29: Please Stop Laughing At Me by Jodee Blanco

First of all, this is my 30th review! I love the fact that I post weekly book reviews because books are what I love most, and incorporating them into this blog is something that I love doing!

This is the first autobiography that I am reviewing, and it is probably the best autobiography that I have ever read! Even without my synopsis, you can probably tell what the book is about, but I'll give you an in-depth blurb anyway.

Jodee Blanco is not like other children. While most worry about first kisses and college, she is worrying about how to get from class to class without being taunted by her classmates. All through her life, Jodee has been verbally and physically abused by the people that she is supposed to share secrets with and trade gossip with. The book tells the story of Jodee from her point of view, portraying her feelings about the events and all of the different incidents that happen to her.

I really think that this book should be a lot more popular and many more people should read it. Jodee's experiences, as horrific as they are, are profound in today's society. Bullying is still a massive problem and the bully rarely gets to hear about the story from the victim's point of view, something that I think is completely needed. Jodee went to many different schools, some which were better than others, but they all resulted in the same thing. Jodee being bullied.

Another thing that struck me while reading the book, was the reaction of the people around Jodee, including her parents. Obviously they didn't want their daughter to get bullied, but at one school, the principle said that Jodee was getting bullied because she wasn't trying hard enough to fit in with the rest of the people in the school. Her parents proceeded to send her to therapy, which in my opinion, was a bad idea because it made Jodee, the victim, feel like she was the problem.

What was good?
As well as everything that I mentioned, it was also really good to see how Jodee got out of the situation. I liked seeing how her past experiences of bullying affected her in her later life. It shows how things that seem like 'silly little comments' can have a massive effect on the way that someone lives their day-to-day life.

What was bad?
Again, the reaction of Jodee's parents and the teachers in her school. I know this isn't a criticism of the book itself, but it really resonated with me, and I think it's important for authority figures to take bullying seriously. Whether it's name calling or physical abuse, it all results to the same feelings in the victims, feelings that no one should be made to feel.

Overall
There's a limit to the amount of time that I can tell you to read this book, but I really think that you should. It is an amazing book written in such a way that, after reading it, you will never call anyone a bad name again!

Thank you for reading.

Comment below your favourite autobiography!

Comments

  1. I'll have to read this! I loveee books and I'm always looking for recommendations:) www.jenna-grace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it, it's an amazing book! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion