Book Review #26: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

 
The Hunger Games has been such a massive thing right now, so I kind of assume that you've at least heard of it, even if you haven't read it or watched it. Personally, although at first it wasn't really my thing, I do love it! Since I'm currently writing a fanfiction story based on it (here) I thought I should review it!
 
It's about a girl called Katniss Everdeen. She lives in Panem, a country with 12  (previously 13) districts. Katniss is in district 12. Each year two members, one boy and one girl, from each district are picked to compete in The Hunger Games. This is an annual competition where 24 people are made to fight until only one is left alive. You get entered, depending on your age, a certain number of times. Katniss has a 12 year old sister called Primrose. Katniss, like most people in her district, doesn't want to be picked, she doesn't think she can win. When the 'reapings' (when the competitors get picked) happen, Prim is picked, so Katniss volunteers for her, so that she doesn't have to compete. The story then continues to follow Katniss as she gets ready to compete, as well as her fellow tribute Peeta. But Katniss gets a lot more than she bargained for.
 
First of all, I have to profess my love for Katniss. She is a really great character because she's the girl who deals with stuff and gets on with it. She's so strong, and when reading the book you really admire her for that. As well as that, the book is so hopeful. You get so invested in the story and really want Katniss to win the Games. I loved getting involved because I could imagine what I would do if I were to be in that situation. To be completely honest I think I'd be completely crap!
 
What was good?
I haven't spoken about this a lot, so as not to give anything away, but I love the love triangle! I think I'm team Gale but I do have a soft spot for Peeta, but what I love about it is that it's not 'good guy' vs 'bad guy', she could literally go any way and each person reading will have a completely different opinion on who she should go for and why. It's a sub-plot from the Games, which I think is very welcome because it stops the book from being a bit too intense at times.
 
What was bad?
As I just said, some parts were very intense, especially as someone who had never before read a dystopian novel. However, this did, in a way, increase my love for dystopian novels, but I haven't really read many others.
 
Overall
I would definitely recommend this book, particularly if you don't think you'll like it. It is such an easy read and it is so easy to get completely invested in the story, so much so that you actually feel that you are a part of it!
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below what you think of The Hunger Games 
 
 

Comments

  1. Hey! Great review! I'm not that big of a fan of the books, but I did like the story so I suppose that's something :D And I'm on Wattpad too! (http://www.wattpad.com/user/runandhide)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'