Book Review #28: Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

 
This is a hit TV series, and everyone that I know who watches it, completely loves it! So I'm sure you've heard of it before. One of my favourite things about the book is the way that Sara Shepard switches between many different characters without it getting confusing for the reader, which I think is amazing!
 
Meet Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily. They used to be best friends, but the disappearance of their 5th best friend Alison DiLaurentis. Aria moved to Iceland and the rest of the girls kept to themselves, barely speaking for the three years after Ali's disappearance. So when Aria comes home, she expects things to be different.  Ali was the secret keeper of the group, but with Ali gone, the girls expected their secrets to be kept hidden. Whether it's Spencer kissing her sister's boyfriend, Aria more-than-crushing on her new English teacher, Emily wanting girls to be more than just her friends, or Hanna using 'ugly tricks' to stay beautiful, they never thought their secrets to get out. But someone knows. Has someone been spying on their every move for the last three years? Or maybe, just maybe, Ali wasn't as missing as they thought she was! 
 
By my explanation, you can probably tell how much I love this book, as well as the idea of it. I love the fact that each of the girls has a secret that only Ali knows about. They didn't tell each other their secrets, so who else could know?
 
Each note, email or letter that they receive are signed with one letter, A. So either Alison really is back, or someone is doing a freaking good job at pretending to be her!
 
The different dimensions of the characters are something that I really enjoy and admire. I find it so hard to come up with unique character traits for one character when I'm planning a story, let alone 4! It's so easy to get caught up in the story because it seems as if it could be real. The characters are so realistic and you could imagine knowing 4 girls exactly like them!
 
What was good?
Aside from the way that the book was written, I love the premise of the book. Four former friends with four secrets that could literally destroy them. Alison being missing just adds a whole new dimension to the book. My favourite character is definitely Aria. She's the character that I most relate to and I love her secret, which I won't spoil. This may just be down to the fact that, in the TV series, the guy who plays Ezra Fitz is so hot!
 
What was bad?
I'm not going to spoil the story, but as much as I love trying to work out who A is, I'd love to just know for certain. I hate not knowing!
 
Overall
Read this book. I an guarantee that you will enjoy it, even if you think that it's not your 'thing'. I didn't think I would enjoy it before I read it, but I was so pleasantly surprised that I've read it so many times since I first read it!
 
Thank you for reading.
 
Comment below if you've seen the series or not!

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List