Book Review #25: Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman

 
I was never as much of a Malorie Blackman fan as the people around me were. I remember in year 7, so many people in my form were obsessed with the 'Noughts and Crosses' series by her, but I was never really that interested. Back then, it was romance or nothing in my opinion.
The first book of hers that I read was 'Double Cross', the last book in the 'Noughts and Crosses' series, and I completely and utterly loved it (and will probably review it soon), but when I finished it, I never wanted to start the series from the beginning, and to this day I still haven't. So I picked up this book instead.
 
'Boys Don't Cry' is centred around Dante and his family. He has big plans. He's awaiting his A-level results as the book opens (me next year!) and plans on becoming a journalist, moving out and getting away from home, away from his younger brother Adam and his dad. He has a girlfriend and is more than happy with the direction that his life is going in. Until Melanie shows up at his doorstep that is. Melanie, who he hasn't seen in a year. Melanie who he fooled around with...once. Melanie who is holding a baby. What makes it worse, is that the baby is Dante's. And Melanie wants out.
 
I cannot express how much I love this book. The development of the character of Dante is something that I love. He starts off very apprehensive, making the reader apprehensive towards him. But throughout the novel, we see his grow up and adapt to the situation that he's in. And as he grows, we kind of grow with him. We get fully involved in the novel and only want the best for him. A lot of us don't know what it's like to be in his situation, but after reading this book, I can guarantee that we have a fair idea!
 
What was good?
This section is going to be long! First of all, I love the fact that Malorie Blackman has written this novel from the perspective of a male rather than a female. It was really nice to read, especially as someone who isn't that keen on male protagonists. I could identify with Dante, and did grow to love him, which is something that I didn't expect. As well as this, Dante is completely shoved in at the deep end, and it's really interesting to see how he copes with the situation, while also wondering what I would do in that situation. I doubt I would be as good as he was! But other than that, I also love the character of Dante's brother Adam. He's 14, gay and just trying to find his place in the world. The addition of this second storyline really adds to the story because it makes it realistic. In real life, we have a lot of things going on at once, but Blackman transfers between storylines easily without causing confusion for the reader, something which a lot of books fail to do.
 
What was bad?
The attitude of Dante in the beginning of the novel slightly put me off. I don't think that it would put everyone off, but my actions and reactions would strongly contrast with his, and sometimes I can't understand why he says and does the things that he does. Nevertheless, this is true of real life. You never completely agree with something that someone does.
 
Overall
I don't pick favourites with my books, I read too many and it would require a lot of thought and consideration. Having said this, if I were to pick favourites, this book would certainly be a great contender. I love this book so much and I really recommend it to anyone who wants to have a good read!
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below if you've read any of Malorie Blackman's books!

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List