Book Review #27: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

 
 I haven't reviewed a 'Sophie Kinsella' book since July so this is long overdue! The thing I love most about Sophie Kinsella is her writing style. I bet that, if she wrote a new book, I could be given that book without the front cover and instantly know who the writer is, because her style is so distinctive. I would love for someone to be able to say that about me one day, but I don't think I have a distinctive writing style, at least not yet!

The book is about Lara, who isn't where she wants to be in life when she attends her great-aunt Sadie's funeral. But what Lara doesn't bargain for is Sadie coming back, as a ghost. She has one request, for Lara to find her dragonfly necklace. But in trying to find the necklace, Lara gets a lot more than she bargained for, and her own little love story along the way.

I loved this book and really want to read it again because it was so interesting. Personally, because I am a huge fan of Sophie, I think that this was one of her most underrated books. I think this is because it was the first 'ghost' story that she had written. Although ghost stories aren't generally my thing, because this was written with the usual humour and style what Sophie Kinsella writes with, I stopped seeing it as a 'ghost' story and saw it as a normal novel, which was great!

What was good?
The character of Lara, like most of the protagonists of Sophie Kinsella's novels, is amazing, particularly the humour of the novel. I also love the fact that, although Lara was unhappy with her life, there was always hope. I think the book slightly foreshadowed the fact that it would have a happy ending, which I loved because I love books with happy endings!

What was bad?
The only criticism of the book that I have is that, if my life was seemingly going downhill the same way that Lara's was, I think I would be a lot more upset than she was! She still seemed quite upbeat, but that was also good, because it showed her bubbly personality.

Overall
I would advise anyone to buy this book, the same way that I would with all of Sophie's books. However, don't read it if you expect it to be like a normal ghost story because it isn't. But if you're looking for fun and romance, seriously read this!

Thank you for reading

Comment below what you think of Sophie's books!

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'