I Saw the Devil | 100 Movies Bucket List
I'd never heard of this film before the bucket list, and I felt slightly wary that it was billed as an action/thriller movie rather than horror.
I'd definitely say it has elements of both, and I completely loved it!
The opening scene was definitely horrific, and horrifying, so I immediately saw why it was classed as a horror. Especially when you go in blind, it just takes you completely by surprise. It does a good job of really drawing the viewer in.
And after this, you're really intrigued to find out where the story is actually going.
The murder scenes are so brutal and shocking - despite how graphic the first one is, each additional one is still a shock to the system. These scenes, and the way they're shot, are what make the film a horror. They're really well done.
The story is so engaging. It's not just a serial killer movie, and it's not just a revenge thriller; it's never too much of one thing. The scenes last the right length of time, and you're equally interested in the parallel storylines.
Tension is created excellently throughout the film. Some moments are so tense that your own heart-rate rises, you can't look away from the screen, the anticipation is too much. They're written and acted in a way that feels terrifyingly authentic.
The actors are all phenomenal. They make the film feel so authentic and real, and immediately evoke the right emotions out of the audience. Whether the villain or the hero, they all do an equal job of carrying the film and making it as gripping as it is.
One word I'd use to describe the film is intense. Everything is at 100, it moves quickly and you almost go through every single emotion while watching. There's so much happening, and the writing is so tight that it all feels equally important and necessary to the overall plot.
Which brings us to the runtime. There are some great long horror movies, but it seems out of the ordinary for the horror genre, so I am always a little bit wary when I see a horror this long. But for this film it really works. Every scene is completely necessary, every word has meaning. There's nothing that you could cut out without sacrificing the story.
I loved the creation of the villain. It's great to have a villainous character that has a tragic backstory to explore, but it's also great to have the villain just be a diabolical person who's evil for the sake of being evil, and what's what we get here.
It gets even better as it heads towards the ending. Everything ramps up in a really captivating way, which is another reason why the run-time doesn't matter - you hardly notice it.
So I'd definitely recommend this one. Whether you think it fits more into the horror, thriller or action category, it's still absolutely worth a watch!


Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment xx