Upgraded | Film Review


An art intern, Ana (Camila Mendes), is invited on a work trip to London, where she meets a man who mistakes her for her boss.

I love a rom-com, so no matter the concept, I was looking forward to seeing this film. But that was helped by the fact that I really like Camila Mendes as an actress, and the plot was an interesting one.

I really liked this movie. It's kind of what you'd expect it to be, so you probably already know if you'll like it or not.

The opening scene was great. The dialogue was fun, interesting, authentic, and I really wanted the dialogue to stay like this the whole way through. 

For the most part the dialogue did stay this interesting, but I would have liked to see much more of the characters that were introduced at the beginning.

While the story is very predictable, it's also a fun watch.

I found I was more interested in Ana's job as an art intern, and the way that she wanted to progress in that world, than I was in her relationship.

Because yes, the main couple had good chemistry, but I found that the love interest (played by Archie Renaux) was the least interesting character in the film. I would have liked him to have more to do, because I cared more about his mother than about him, which isn't how things should go in a rom-com!

But having said that, the whole story, including the romance, was really sweet. You're able to really root for Ana despite the things she does. She never loses the audience.

Overall, this was the predictable rom-com you expect from reading the description and that's a really good thing! Watch this if you're a rom-com fan.

6.5/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion