Bottoms | Film Review

 

Best friends PJ (Rachel Sennott) and Josie (Ayo Edebiri) start a high school fight club to meet cheerleaders and lose their virginities.

I'd heard so much about this film before seeing it. I missed it at the cinema but thankfully it's now on Amazon Prime Video so I could catch it! I had really high expectations and couldn't wait to see it.

Unfortunately, I didn't like it as much as I wanted to, or as much as I thought I would.

Though I did really like the premise.

It took me a while to connect with the characters. And while I did end up connecting with some of them, there were others that I found really unlikeable the whole way through.

Though that said, the supporting characters are underrated and generally funnier than the two main characters.

There are a few genuinely funny moments, but I didn't find the overall film as funny as I wanted to, and I think that humour is really necessary for a story like this. So that was probably one of the reasons I didn't love it as much as the general public seem to.

For me the film kind of fell apart near the end, because the lie that a lot of the events are based on is so unbelievable that I didn't think the supporting characters would actually believe it in the first place. So the fact that it was one of the main reasons for the third-act conflict just didn't work for me.

I don't think the audience got to know any of the characters well enough. But I especially wanted to know more about the main girls and their lives.

The ending was a lot better than the beginning - I really liked the way everything was resolved.

Overall, I really liked the premise, the ending and the overall message of it, but the humour didn't hit right for me, and I didn't love the characters. I'll definitely give it a re-watch, and hopefully I'll like it a lot more the second time.

5.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion