Night Swim | Film Review

 

When a family moves into a new house, they soon find that the house's history has led to hidden terrors in the depths of the backyard swimming pool.

I'll always give Blumhouse movies a chance, especially because so many of them are the reason why I love horror as much as I do. So even though I wasn't 100% sold on the premise, I definitely wanted to see it.

This film was what I thought it would be, in that it wasn't good at all.

It never makes the audience care about the characters - it got to the point where the only character that I could actively root for was the evil pool!

Because the pool was the only thing about the film that wasn't bland. None of the characters were interesting, and the events of the film weren't particularly interesting either.

One of the reasons the characters didn't work was because there wasn't a lot of effort put into their backstories. So when the film tried to make us care about them, it was too late.

While the film is undoubtedly horror, it never felt scary at all, or even really thrilling.

I appreciate that it had an original premise and some great actors (including Wyatt Russell and Kerry Condon), but it ended up not being great at all.

Overall, if you want a good water-based thriller, I'd recommend something along the lines of 'The Shallows' or '47 Meters Deep'. Probably give this one a miss!

3/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion