One Day | TV Show Review

After meeting and spending the night of graduation together, Emma (Ambika Mod) and Dexter (Leo Woodall) go their separate ways. But as the years go by, they are unable to let each other go.

I didn't know whether I was going to watch this show or not. I watched the original movie, so I knew exactly what I was getting into, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to get into it again! But after hearing the rave reviews, I wanted to give it a try.

And I'm so glad I did because I loved this show! I loved it from the first episode.

The actors have great chemistry, which is just one of the reasons the show works as well as it does. It's so nice to watch them together. Even in the scenes where they aren't physically together, it's really interesting to see the way their friendship is kept alive.

While I liked the movie version, a TV show is the perfect format for this story. It's really nice to actually see the time it takes for two people to fall in love, and having each episode focus on a different year was a great way to do this.

I really liked seeing the different paths their lives took as time went on. It was really realistic to see the ups and downs, the struggles and successes and everything in between.

Because it was the 'between' that I liked the most. The way the show manages to show us what has happened over the last year without explicitly telling us. 

And part of why this concept works so well is the writing. Through 14 episodes we get to know these characters so well that they actually feel like friends of ours. The thing I loved most about the show was how well I knew the characters, and how quickly they became a part of my life.

The episodes were the perfect length and really easy to watch. I finished the show in two days and I was pacing myself!

I didn't find the ending as emotional as I wanted to, and I think that's because I was waiting for it. I knew what was going to happen and when, so I was trying to make it to those episodes. But if it had been a surprise, I think it would have hit me a lot harder, so I still think it was really successful in this regard.

Overall, the show is beautiful, that's the only way to describe it. It's a really interesting look at human connection, love, pain, joy, grief and everything in between. I would definitely recommend it - I loved it and need to find something similar to watch!

5/5

Comments

Popular Posts

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion