Thanksgiving | Film Review


A year after a Black Friday event ends in tragedy, a masked villain sets out to terrorise those who caused the accident.

I first saw the trailer for this while watching Killers of the Flower Moon and immediately wanted to see it. I can't remember the last non-Scream slasher that came out, but it feels like cinema has been really overdue for one!

I liked this movie. I definitely had some major issues with it, but it's essentially what you think it will be, which isn't a bad thing!

The opening scene is absolutely wild. And I loved it.

The only thing I didn't like about the opening (and by extension the whole film) were the main characters. I kind of hoped they'd all die in the beginning so we could start again with better characters. I didn't take a liking to any of them and thinking about it now, I still don't really like them.

The acting wasn't great. Now, it's not like anyone's competing for an oscar or anything, but at times the dialogue felt so unbelievable that it took me out of the film completely.

Another thing that took me out - the film is set in Boston but only two characters had a Boston accent. I wouldn't mind if they all did, or if none of them did, but why were only two characters doing the accent? It didn't have anything to do with the plot and just made it seem like everyone just did whatever they wanted regardless of the fact that they're all (for the most part) from the same place in the same movie.

So much of the film feels like a parody, or like a joke placeholder until the real film starts. It took a little while for me to get into.

The kills were really fun and creative. For me, the gorier the better, and this definitely had a lot of gore!

It was more entertaining than I expected - I was never bored and really wanted to find out who the killer was.

Speaking of the killer(s), while the reveal was guessable, it was still really fun.

Overall, while I think the film could have been developed a lot more, and some of the events were (for want of a better word) quite dumb, it was still really entertaining and I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a basic, cheesy slasher.

5.5/10 stars


Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List