Rebel Moon: Part One - A Child of Fire | Film Review

Kora (Sofia Boutella) is tasked with creating a team of fighters to save her planet from an invading army.

I was really looking forward to this one. I'm a fan of a couple of the actors, plus I like Zack Snyder as a director, so this was one I had my eye on for a long time. I absolutely loved the trailer so I hoped I'd like the movie as much.

Thankfully I really liked the film. It wasn't perfect, and there were some major things I didn't like that I won't spoil, but overall I was really entertained by it and thought it did a good job of creating these characters and their world.

The opening scene was great - it made you care about the characters really quickly and as the audience, we immediately understand the stakes.

I also really liked the premise and was excited to see how it would play out.

I loved the characters. They all had great introductions and I really wanted there to be a found-family feel to them. I didn't exactly get that, mainly because there wasn't as much chemistry between the actors as I would have liked, but they were still fun to watch.

Speaking of the actors, there were moments where the actual acting wasn't great, which was a real shame as it definitely took me out of the film at certain points.

Something else I didn't like were the fight scenes. They felt really fake, and there was way too much slow motion used. A couple of times is fine, but it was overdone and felt a bit jarring and unnecessary.

It's ironic that a 2hr movie felt rushed, but it did. I would have liked to spend a bit more time with each of the characters, as they were the best part of the film.

It was a much more contained story than I thought it would be, seeing as it's the first of a two-part set.

Overall, this was fun, entertaining and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. However it also wasn't particularly impactful and not very memorable. So while I enjoyed it, I can completely understand why some won't like it.

6.5/10 stars


Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List