Saltburn | Film Review


Oliver (Barry Keoghan), an Oxford University student, becomes obsessed with his rich classmate Felix (Jacob Elordi) when invited to stay at his family's estate.

So many people were talking about this film that I had to watch it as soon as possible! I didn't really know what it was about, but from the reactions on Twitter, I knew it would probably be a weird one, and I didn't know how I'd feel about it.

I was so surprised that I ended up absolutely loving this film. I had no idea I would like it so much!

The opening scene was great. It was very intriguing and gets the audience involved in the world really quickly.

A weird, eerie, tense atmosphere was created so well from the very beginning, and this remained throughout the events of the film.

All of the characters, whether likeable or not (which more weren't), were really interesting and well-written. There were a couple of characters that I felt could have done with more development, but overall I think they were created quite well.

The film was absolutely packed. At 20 minutes in, so much had happened that it felt like I'd been watching for an hour, but in the best way. Every second was entertaining.

The cast was great! Some of them were playing their roles more comically while others took a more serious approach, but it all worked well together.

The two main characters are both really intriguing. Elordi is great and plays the character really authentically, but the film becomes a study of Keoghan's character, and he plays it so well. The audience is able to sympathise, empathise with, despise and be thoroughly creeped out by Oliver over a gradual period, and that's down to the acting more than anything else.

However I also have to give credit to the writing. While I didn't love all the dialogue, the characters themselves were written well.

For me it was just the right amount of graphic, gross and creepy. I had to look away from the screen at times but still didn't want to miss a moment.

Overall, this film was so much more engaging and entertaining than I thought it would be. It's definitely not for everyone, but I loved it.

8/10 stars


Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List