Countdown | Film Review

Countdown (2019) - IMDb

Hey Guys x

I saw the poster for this movie in a cinema (back when we were allowed out!) but I never saw any trailers or heard anything about it, so when I had the opportunity to watch it, I wasn't that interested at all. I barely knew what it was about.

After hearing about an app that accurately predicts when you'll die, Quinn (Elizabeth Lail) downloads it to prove everyone wrong. But when the app tells her that she has three days left to live, Quinn sets out save herself, whatever it takes.

As mentioned, I didn't know anything about the movie, so I didn't expect to love it as much as I did!

For a start, it's a really interesting concept. If you've seen the film, you'll know that it feels a bit like a Final Destination movie, but the fact that it's all built around an app updates the entire premise.

The problem with building a film like this around an app is that it instantly becomes unrealistic based on the fact that it would be so easy to not download the app. Because of this, you watch the film thinking that all these characters are stupid. While you can suspend your disbelief for a lot of things, this is so rooted in reality that it's hard to do that.

It's actually a scary concept in and of itself. But more than that, there's great acting, great jump scares and it's written really well.

In terms of the acting, as well as Elizabeth Lail as Quinn (who you'll know as Beck from the Netflix series 'You'), the film also stars Talitha Bateman as Jordan, and Jordan Calloway as Matt. These three characters really carry the film. They're all so well written, but more than that, the best actors were hired to play them.

The one word I'd use to describe the film is 'entertaining'. Even the parts of the movie that are completely predictable are also completely entertaining.

I have to mention jump scares again, because this is a film that is actually scary, and that is definitely helped by the jump scares. At times, you're actually watching through your fingers and you still end up jumping whenever something happens.

The ending doesn't quite pack the punch that I wanted it to, but it still holds up and isn't disappointing in the least.

Overall, I definitely recommend this film, and I can't wait to watch it again because I really loved it!

7.5/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Suncoast | Film Review