Overthinking Public Speaking



I hate public speaking!

Whether it's in front of 10 people or 100 people, I will always hate having to give presentations to people that I don't know well enough to be comfortable around. Like most bloggers, I express myself much better in writing than I ever could speaking, which is why I have so much fun writing on this blog.

The main reason that I dislike public speaking is because, as the title of this post suggests, I always tend to over think it. So instead of giving you tips about not being scared of speaking in public, I am going to give you 3 tips about how not to overthink public speaking.

1) Some People Aren't Listening.



This is something that I find comforting. When you give a presentation, in class, for example, not everyone is going to be listening to you. Some people will be nervous about giving their own presentation, and other people will just be waiting for the presentations to end. So if you make a small mistake, take comfort in the fact that most people probably didn't notice.

2) Practice doesn't always make perfect



You can memorise something until you can remember nothing else, and this is great. But this won't stop you from tripping over your words and making little mistakes. Overthinking this makes you think that by practicing, you'll never make a mistake. And you might not. But, from experience, it's so much worse to make a mistake without expecting to. If you accept the fact that everyone will make a mistake, you'll feel more relaxed about your presentation and it will bee even better!

3) Most People Feel The Same Way



The fact that I've written this post should tell you that you're not the only person that is terrified of public speaking. When you're preparing for a presentation, just remember that there is at least one person in your class that feels the exact way that you feel. You're never alone in your feelings.

My main message for this blog is: You'll have to public speak at least once in your life. Smile, breath, don't overthink. Everything will be fine.

Thank you for reading.

Comment below how you feel about public speaking.

Comments

  1. I loved this post, I'm terrified of public speaking and always have been. I had to do a presentation for my English GCSE and I had to go first, I just focused on my friend the whole time so I wasn't as nervous and luckily it went okay. I love all your posts by the way x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I hope this helped!
      I'm glad it went well xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List