Book Review #12: He's After Me by Chris Higgins



I am a big fan of Chris Higgins' books. She wrote 5 books that I read when I was younger (like 12-13) and I completely loved them. They were called '32C That's Me', 'Pride and Penalties', 'it's a 50/50 thing', 'A Perfect 10' and 'Love ya babe'. I was completely in love with them, but they are aimed at a much younger audience than I am now. This is why I was so happy when this book came out, because it is aimed at an older audience, which I could tell from the cover of the book. I was really looking forward to reading this.

The book is about sisters Anna and Livi. They're parents are split up and their dad has a new girlfriend, who they hate. Then they meet Jem. He pops up in the most convenient position and seems to sweep both of them off their feet. But Anna's best friend doesn't trust him, and neither does their father. Are they being protective and jealous, or is there something about Jem that isn't what it seems?

Again, as I have pointed out in previous reviews, mysterious books are not my chosen genre, as I prefer romance. However, as I love Chris Higgins, I knew I ad to read this book, and I was not disappointed. This book has everything, thriller, mystery, romance, and it will keep you entertained for literally hours as you try and work out which characters are in the right.

As much as I love the romantic element, the main characters were seriously annoying, Livi much more than Anna. They both got swept in and couldn't see what was right in front of them, which annoyed me as the reader because I felt like I knew something that they were refusing to see. But I guess that's the best thing about the book, that you get so swept into the story that you don't realise that Anna and Livi are just characters and not your real life friends.

What was good?
The fact that the characters Anna and Livi were so blinded by love (or in my eyes, idiotic) it kind of made them realistic. That's because I can completely imagine having a friend that doesn't listen to anything that I tell her because she's so blinded by a boy that she likes. Also, as I said before, it completely makes you love the book because you are captivated by the characters.

What was bad?
The character of Jem was a weird one. He stared off as literally the best thing in the world, but there is something about him that you're instantly wary of. I think I would have liked the book better if the doubts about his character came out of nowhere rather than the reader being able to guess what might happen.

Overall
I loved this book. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in romance and mystery, as this book has it all. As well as this, because it's an older aged book, this doesn't mean that you have to be of a certain age to read it, you can enjoy it from a young age.

Thank you for reading.

Comment below for more books that I should read and review!

Comments

  1. Aw I'm so glad you posted this!! I used to love Chris Higgins' books when I was younger and had no idea she had an older reader book out. Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you for reading! I'm glad this helped. When you read it, let me know what you think of it xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion