Book Review #14: Billy and Me by Giovanna Fletcher



Giovanna Fletcher is someone that I love, as an author and a person.

Of course, this is largely due to my obsession with McFly! Giovanna is married to Tom Fletcher from McFly and they now have a child together, called Buzz, who is the cutest baby ever! She's also the sister-in-law of one of my favourite female YouTubers, Carrie Hope Fletcher. I have her second book, 'You're The One That I Want' waiting for me to start reading, which you can see in my book haul!

Billy and Me is about a girl called Sophie May. Sophie has always lived in the same place, never wanting to try anything new. When all of her friends decide to go to university, Sophie decides against this, choosing to stay at home to look after her mum, working at the local tea-and-cake shop.
But things change when Sophie finds out that a film crew is coming to her small town, to shoot a remake of 'Pride and Prejudice', one of Sophie's favourite books. The star of the film? Only Billy Buskin, the actor/heartthrob that everyone has heard of apart from Sophie. When Sophie and Billy meet, Sophie's life is turned upside down. Will she ever get it back to the way it was?

When Gi talked about this book before it was released, she said that people thought that she was writing about her relationship with Tom, but that she actually wasn't. By reading the book, I think it's easy to tell that this book is not about that couple. However, what I loved about this book was that it could easily have been about me! Sophie's personality traits are great, because there aren't a lot of books that feature an extremely introverted protagonist. And I especially appreciate this as I am extremely introverted myself. The book was completely realistic because it showed both the excited beginning 'honeymoon' section of a relationship, but it also showed the reality of how things can go wrong before you even know what's happening, which a lot of books sometimes fail to do.

What was good?
The book didn't have any unlikeable characters. There were points where I was annoyed at what a particular character did, but the characters were extremely realistic and I could imagine knowing someone like each of the characters, which just makes the book that much more real. As well as this, the character of Billy is a character that I loved because I found myself loving him even when he made mistakes.

What was bad?
I find it hard to find fault with anything that Gi does. The only thing that I disliked about the novel was something that would be a spoiler for anyone that hasn't yet read it. All I'll say is that, Sophie is a lot more lenient than I would be in her situation!

Overall
I love this book. I love it so much that writing this post is making me want to get it and read it all over again. I fully suggest that anyone who hasn't read this book should buy it and read it right now!

Thank you for reading.

Comment below what you thought of this book!

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List