Book Review #13: Paper Towns by John Green



You probably saw this book (not this exact version) in my book haul. If you haven't seen it, you can read it here!
As you may know, I was a huge fan of 'The Fault In Our Stars' also written by John Green. In a way, I'm annoyed that I read TFIOS first because it raised my expectations for all other books that I will read by him. So, for that reason, I was slightly disappointed with this book. I loved it, and if I had not read TFIOS first, I would have loved it even more than I already do.

The book is about Quentin Jacobson and his next-door neighbour Margo Roth Spiegelman. Margo, out of the blue, summons Quentin on an all-night adventure, which leaves him excited and reeling. He has been in love with Margo for years and thinks that tonight will finally be the night, the night when she falls in love with him too. However, this doesn't go to plan. Margo disappears. Quentin is worried, has she been kidnapped, has she been killed? It doesn't seem likely, especially when Quentin finds clues from Margo, seemingly only for him. So, naturally, he decides to follow the clues, with the help of his two best friends Ben and Radar. But by following the clues, is Quentin going to find what he wants to find, or is he going to find something that he hadn't bargained for?

This is a book that I loved, for the fact that I loved the main characters literally as much as I loved the protagonist, which doesn't usually happen to me. As well as this, I have never been able to connect with a male main character in the way that I connected with Quentin. He is real. That is the greatest thing about him. He's not a hero, he's not a jock, he's not strictly an outcast, he's just Q. And Q is the kind of person that we love to know and love to be friends with, because he is the realest that a fictional character could ever be.

What was good?
Aside from the character of Q and the main characters, the plot for the story was really good and the ending had so much potential to go so many different ways. There was no way that anyone reading could guess how the book would end, and I love that about a book. Of course, because I usually read romance books, I am used to predictability and usually try to predict the endings of any book that I am reading, but this completely threw me off track, which is great. If you can guess the ending, what's the point of reading the book?

What was bad?
As I said, the ending of the book had so much potential. But I have to say that the build up to the ending was so great that the ending was definitely an anti-climax. As I got closer to the end of the book, I couldn't put it down. However, the ending was not what I expected and, without giving too much away, I wish that it had more of an exciting ending.

Overall
I would completely recommend this book to anyone, so if you haven't read it, I think you should! And girls, don't be put off by the male main character, I guess that you'll like him more than you've liked the female characters of some of your favourite books!

Thank you for reading.

Comment below what you thought of this book, and if you haven't read it, will you?

Comments

Popular Posts

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'