Poor Things | Film Review


When a woman (Emma Stone) is brought back to life by a scientist (Willem Dafoe), she decides to leave her oppressive home to discover who she wants to be in a new world.

This was probably my most anticipated watch in the run-up to the Oscars. The way people were talking about it, I just knew I had to see it as soon as possible.

I loved this film! It was wild in the best way possible.

For a start, hopefully this isn't a spoiler, but I love the way the film approaches sex - both the idea of it and the actual scenes. A lot of the time, usually with American productions, violence is seen as much more palatable than sex. The European approach to this is often the other way around and I think that makes a lot more sense. So I'm really glad the film approached the sexual liberation of the character in this way.

It was so well written - the humour doesn't ever feel like it's trying. 

Speaking of the humour, it was so smoothly woven into the story that I often didn't find things as funny as the people around me. But having said that, the things I found funny, I found really funny.

The cinematography is so interesting, really original, and it just makes the film so much more fun to watch.

Because one thing about this film, for me, is that it was a really fun watch. I had a great time and really want to see it again. And as much as I liked some of the other Oscar nominees, there's not many that I want to re-watch.

The acting was amazing. Other than Stone and Dafoe the film also stars Mark Ruffalo and Ramy Youssef, as well as an all-around great cast who were great in their roles. Of course, Emma Stone is the clear standout, she carried the film and I definitely will not be mad if she wins an Oscar for her performance.

This is the first time in years that, at the end of the film, the audience in the cinema gave it a round of applause. So if that doesn't tell you how good the film is, nothing will!

Overall, this film won't be for everyone. But it was definitely for me. I loved it, I hope it does really well at the Oscars, and I think as many people as possible should see it!

8.5/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List