Role Play | Film Review

 

While role-playing to spice up their marriage, Emma (Kaley Cuoco) and Dave (David Oyelowo) get caught up in a scandal that reveals Emma's secret life as an assassin.

I have to admit I didn't have high hopes for this one. I didn't have any particular negative or positive feelings about the concept, and I had no idea how it would be executed.

It actually ended up being better than I thought, but it still wasn't great.

I took an instant liking to the characters. They were fun to watch and had an interesting dynamic - though they didn't have enough chemistry for me to really be invested in them as a couple.

The events of the film from the very beginning are really inauthentic and unrealistic, even with the suspension of disbelief. This does get better as the film continues, but at first it feels quite jarring.

This is particularly true of the fight scenes, which felt too long and didn't always add anything to the story.

One of my main issues was that I wanted a complete change to the film's premise! I think the film would have been really great, and much funnier, if it was about a completely innocent couple trying to spice up their marriage by pretending to be other people, who get caught up in a murder investigation. The idea reminds me a bit of 'Date Night', and I'd love to see that version of this story with these characters.

But back to the actual plot, it got a lot more interesting after about 40 minutes.

One of the other fundamental problems with this movie, for me, is that I didn't really like any of the casting choices. Not just because the main couple had little chemistry, but also because no one was particularly believable.

Overall, this was somewhat enjoyable, but definitely not as good as it could have been.

5.5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List