Five Nights at Freddy's | Film Review


Mike (Josh Hutcherson), a security guard, begins working at Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria and soon finds that nothing is as it seems.

I've never played the game this film is based on, but I have watched other people playing it, so I was fairly familiar with the world and was excited to see how it would be adapted to the film medium.

I liked this film! It wasn't amazing, but it was definitely a good adaptation.

The beginning was great. It was clear that the filmmakers wanted us to get to know these characters and gave us time for that.

Going in, I thought I'd only be interested in what happened inside the pizzeria, so it was great that I found myself being really interested in the general story too.

Having said that, Mike's backstory and the way it formed the most important parts of his character was really interesting, but after a while I didn't care. Without any spoilers, the name 'Garrett' became a point of comedy for me and the people I watched it with because it was said so much and we just didn't care anymore!

It could have been scarier. The game is quite scary, even watching people play it is scary, so I did wish I had been more scared. But that didn't take away from the film's entertainment at all.

I feel like the film should have leaned into being more plot than character-driven, because none of the characters were particularly likeable, and it was easy to correctly guess suspicions.

By the end there were a few too many loose ends for my liking, and I still have so many questions.

Overall I thought this was really enjoyable. It'll mean a lot more to fans of the game than it will to general audiences, but it's still definitely worth a watch!

6/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List