2018 Favourites!

Hey Guys x

Welcome to my last favourites post of the year! It's been really fun to look back through all the things I've watched and listened to to decide which I'd include in this post.

But it was really hard to decide for a lot of things, and I definitely forgot some things. Either way though, this is a long post!

So let's get started!

Favourite Movie (1): A Star Is Born
Image result for a star is born movie poster

I'm not gonna spend too long on this film, because I've mentioned it on here so many times since I saw it, and I'm sure that I'll be talking about it a lot in the new year (provided it gets nominated for the accolades that it deserves... hello Oscars!) but it's definitely one of my favourite films of the year!

(2): Atonement
Image result for atonement movie poster

Not only did I love this film, but it's here because it bled into both my personal life and my uni life. I loved the film so much that I read the book and chose to write one of my final essays for university on it - and that essay helped me finish my degree with a good grade, so I owe a lot to this movie!

(3): The X-Men Series
Image result for x men first class movie poster

It's crazy that I waited until this year to actually sit down and watch these movies, but I did, and watching this franchise was definitely one of my movie highlights of the year. Some of them I loved more than others, but all in all they are a great set of films, and I'll definitely be re-watching a few next year!

(4): The Greatest Showman
Image result for the greatest showman movie poster

Again, I'm not going to talk about this too much because, not only have I talked about it a lot this year, but everyone has been constantly talking about it this year, so you've probably already seen it, but if you haven't... see it!

(5): Avengers: Infinity War
Image result for avengers infinity war poster

Of course this was coming. I'm a huge Marvel and MCU fan, as you'll know if you regularly read my blog. But Infinity War was something that all the fans had been anxiously anticipating, and it was so good! Of course, I'm waiting on Avengers 4 with baited breath, but this was a great lead-up to what will probably be the biggest hit the Marvel fandom has ever had!

Honorable mentions: 'Widows', 'Mission: Impossible - Fallout' and 'The First Purge'

Favourite TV Show (1): Greys Anatomy
Image result for greys anatomy poster

This is the best show I started this year. I was completely and utterly hooked from the first episode, which I watched in the first week of January, and I'm not halfway through, on season 7 (because I watch one a week) and I have loved every single episode so far! I'll probably still be watching it this time next year, and I can't wait to see what else happens.

(2): Melissa and Joey
Image result for melissa and joey poster

This is my sitcom of the year for sure. I started watching it on a whim and I'm so glad I did because it's such a good show! Sitcoms with laugh-tracks are a lot less common nowadays, and as much as I love watching the more modern comedies where you don't have to be told when to laugh, I still have a soft spot for shows like this.

(3): The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair
Image result for the truth about the harry quebert affair poster

To shorten this post a bit, I had to choose between this show and Krypton. I went for Harry Quebert because it was a one-off show (Krypton is getting a second season next year) and it was just so powerful and interesting. It was one of the only shows I watched this year where I was anxiously awaiting the next episode to see what happened next. If you get the chance to see this show, definitely watch it!

(4): White Collar
Image result for White Collar poster

I finally finished this a few days ago and I loved it! It's on Netflix, and if you're looking for something to get invested in, I would definitely suggest watching this. I didn't even know how invested I was in this until I cried while watching the last episode!

(5): Elite
Image result for elite poster

This is the best show I watched this year, without a doubt, and I can't wait for the second season so that I can fall for these characters all over again. I completely loved it, and more than anything, it makes me want to watch more foreign-language shows, because I could be missing so many amazing shows!

(6): Alias
Image result for Alias poster

And last but not least, the show that I haven't mentioned on the blog once, Alias! I started watching this show purely because Bradley Cooper was in the first two seasons, and had a one episode cameo in the third and fifth seasons. I had decided to just watch the first two seasons, and then just skip the rest and watch his episodes. However, I found myself binging all the seasons regardless of whether or not Bradley Cooper was in them, and that's how I knew how good the show was. Season 2 and 4 in particular were great, but I loved watching it, and I've already started to re-watch the first season. It's on Amazon Prime, for those interested.

Favourite Song (1): A Star Is Born Soundtrack
Image result for a star is born soundtrack

Again, I won't talk about the film too much, but the songs are such an important part of the film. Each song tells a story, and they're all amazing! Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga have amazing voices that compliment each other so well. Even if you haven't see the film, you should listen to some songs from the soundtrack.

(2): Million Reasons



How beautiful is this song?? Lady Gaga's voice is amazing, as it always is, and this is a wonderfully written song that I could listen to over and over again.

(3): Half As Good As You



This is a song by Tom Odell featuring Alice Merton, who are again a pair whose voices compliment each other really well. The song is lovely.

(4): Don't Worry About Me



I've spoken about this song before, but I first heard it in 'The Vampire Diaries' and have been obsessed ever since. It's be Frances, and it's gorgeous. Have a listen!

(5): Demons

This is the second-last song, and it's arguably the best. Of course, I'm majorly late to this song, and to Imagine Dragons in general, but I am so obsessed with this song, and have been for a while! Use this post as an opportunity to listen to it again!

(6): Never Say Never

I was looking through my old 'Favourites' posts throughout the year to see if I missed anything, and this song came up. I completely forgot how many times I've listened to it throughout the year, and I'm going to finish this post listening to it over and over again!

Favourite YouTuber (1): Louise Pentland
Related image

I haven't been into YouTubers this year at all, but one that I've been watching religiously is Louise, who has been posting a vlog every week for the entire year. I have enjoyed watching her life so much, and I'm really glad that she's continuing to vlog into 2019 so that I can continue to spend my Sunday afternoons delving into her life.

(2): Jack and Dean
Image result for jack and dean of all trades

I've been loving Jack and Dean all year, but especially through the month of December. They uploaded the entirety of their series 'Jack and Dean of all Trades' to their YouTube channel in December and the episodes were so good! I mean, some of the jokes in the show could have been used in actual comedic TV shows and would be praised for how funny and original they are. I hope they make more episodes, or maybe even a different show, in the new year!

Favourite Music Artist (1): Carrie Hope Fletcher
Image result for when the curtain falls album

So I could have put Carrie into the category above, but I feel like this year I've definitely been appreciating her more as an artist than as a YouTuber. But her album is amazing, and I've loved listening to it throughout the year, with particular favourites being 'What It Means To Be A Friend', 'They Just Keep Moving The Line' and 'You Matter To Me'. Have a listen if you get the chance!

(2): Lady Gaga
Image result for lady gaga

I was unsure about whether I should put Lady Gaga in this category, or in the 'favourite actor' one, but seeing all the footage of her Vegas 'Enigma' concerts, I definitely think that music is going to be her first love no matter how many acting roles she gets. But she has had an amazing year, and I have become such a huge fan of her. Not only is she an amazing actress and songwriter, but she's an incredible performer whether she's standing with a guitar, sitting behind a piano, or bounding around the stage in something that resembles a transformer. Honestly, she's a huge inspiration for everyone who has a dream that they want to achieve, and it looks like her career isn't going anywhere any time soon!

Favourite Actor (1): Bradley Cooper
Image result for bradley cooper 2011

Of course, I couldn't mention both 'A Star Is Born' and Lady Gaga without also mentioning Bradley Cooper. I have become such a huge fan of him in the last few months, and by watching his filmography, I've been able to watch so many amazing movies that I may not have watched otherwise. Other than 'A Star Is Born', I'd totally recommend watching 'The Hangover', 'Silver Linings Playbook', 'Burnt', 'American Sniper' and 'American Hustle'. He plays a vastly different role in each of these movies and they're all completely incredible!

(2): Michael B Jordan
Image result for michael B Jordan

Michael B Jordan wasn't really on my radar before this year, but I became a fan when I watched 'Fruitvale Station' and then 'Black Panther' in quick succession and found that not only did I really like him as an actor, but I really liked the roles that he chose. Apart from those two films, I also really enjoyed 'Creed' (and Creed II which I saw this month), 'Chronicle' and 'That Awkward Moment', and I think he's a great actor, and he's been amazing in all the roles I've seen him in.

(3): Tessa Thompson
Image result for tessa thompson

Tessa Thompson has been everywhere lately! The films I've seen her in are 'When A Stranger Calls', 'For Colored Girls', 'Creed and Creed II', 'Thor: Ragnarok', 'Sorry To Bother You', 'Annihilation' and 'Furlough' and she's already lined up three major films for the new year, 'Avengers: Endgame', 'Men In Black: International' and 'Lady and the Tramp' and I am so excited to see all of these movies, mainly because she's going to be in them, and at this point I'd watch anything that she's in because I think she's incredible.

(4): James McAvoy
Image result for james mcavoy

I said this when he was in a different favourites post, and my opinion hasn't changed at all - I believe that James McAvoy is one of the best actors of our generation, and he's not rated as highly as he should be given how talented he is. He's incredibly versatile, and has been in too many amazing films to list them all here. But if you want to watch some amazing films of his, check out 'Atonement', 'Filth', 'The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby' (both 'her' and 'him' - I watched 'him' first. The one you watch first completely changes your view of the story and the couple) and 'Split', but seriously, watch anything featuring him because he's such a great actor.

(5): Jennifer Lawrence
Image result for jennifer lawrence

Through loving other actors, I have seen so many Jennifer Lawrence movies. In fact, between Bradley Cooper's and James McAvoy's filmographies, I've seen most of her movies. And the ones that didn't include them were the ones that I saw in the cinema because they looked interesting, like 'Mother!' and 'Red Sparrow'. She is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses, and I haven't even seen the films that made her the most recognised (i.e The Hunger Games trilogy), but I love her, and I think she's an amazing actress, as well as being really down-to-earth and just extremely talented.

(6): Hugh Jackman
Image result for hugh jackman

Watching the X-Men movies really provided me with a whole group of amazing actors/actresses this year, and Hugh Jackman is no exception. But he's mainly here because of his amazing performance in 'The Greatest Showman'. Not only was his acting amazing, but his singing was extraordinary, and when you watch interviews or read up about the movie and see everything that he did to make it happen, it really makes you appreciate the film a lot more. Without him it wouldn't have happened, and I'm sure we all appreciate that!

Random Favourites (1): Fanfic Writing

This is the cover of the fanfic that I started this year. But in general, writing fanfiction is something that I take really seriously and it's something that's really important to me. I'm hoping to start another next year, as well as finishing the one that I'm currently uploading. But it's definitely been the year of fanfiction for me!

(2): YA Novels
Image result for to all the boys books

Image result for love, simon book

Image result for the hate u give book

These are all books that have been turned into films this year, but I wanted to give a shoutout to the actual books themselves rather than their film counterparts. These three books are just some of the reasons that I've loved reading as much as I have this year. They're all vastly different stories with strong protagonists. Each main character has their own distinct voice, and there's a reason that they all became really successful movies. Let's hope there's more YA books and movie adaptations to fall in love with next year!

Streaming Services
Image result for netflix

Image result for amazon prime video

This has been the year of streaming services for me. I've spent so much time getting into new movies and binging new shows, and it's all because of these websites that make watching movies and TV shows accessible if you have a bit of money to spend, but not enough to go to the cinema all the time of spend X amounts on box sets.

So there's one more post to go before 2019 - thanks for reading this post, and all of my favourites posts this year!

Here's to a 2019 full of favourites!

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'