Book Review #4 : 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes

Prepare for tears!


As you may be able to tell about me by now, I am in love with books. I bought this book a few weeks ago and was excited to start reading it. It has now sold over 3 million copies worldwide and it was the winner of the Richard and Judy Galaxy Bookclub Spring 2012, so I had high hopes for it.

The book is about two people, Lou and Will. Lou has just lost her job, she lives with her parents and she doesn't know what to do next with her life. Will had everything going for him. He had a great job, a girlfriend and he had nowhere do go but up. Until he has a motorcycle accident. One way or another, their worlds entwine and neither of them is able to look back.

It is not the kind of book that I usually read, in fact, none of the books that I have reviewed have been something that I would generally read. But this book was different.

I'm the kind of person that buys books. Whenever I go shopping, for anything, I can't come home without a book in my bag. I had seen this book on the shelves many times but had never before picked it up. I took a chance when I saw all of the positive reviews about it, and I'm so glad that I picked it up!

Preview

This is my favourite quote from the book, and without giving anything away, it means a lot. And it's something to think about. Do you ever think about your life and wonder if you're doing everything that you could and should? I've never been a person that is fond of taking risks, but are my reservations stopping me from living my life the way that I want to live it?

What is good?
Not only are the conversations intensely realistic and the characters extremely realistic, but Moyes has a way of making the reader identify with the characters, so much so that I felt as if I was actually in the book, and that my decisions would change the ending.

What is bad?
As someone who reads and criticises books for more time than I care to admit, it is rare for me to have to search for something bad within the book. The only flaw, to me, that the book has is that, some of the characters are not very likeable. For example, certain qualities of Lou's sister Katrina make her seem cold and distant. This is true for many characters in the book, such as Will's mother.

Overall
Make sure you grab some tissues because this book will make you cry! The fact that I didn't cry while reading 'The Fault in Our Stars' but I cried reading this should tell you something about this book. I recommend that, if you're looking for a new book to read, buy this book straight away!


Thank you for reading. Please comment below with more books that you'd like me to review!

Comments

  1. I absolutely loved this book as well. It's not the type of book I usually read either, and the cover actually put me off a bit initially, as I thought it looked like a typical cliched love story. Boy was I wrong! And I actually liked that many of the characters weren't all that likable, I find it more interesting that way, people are flawed and fictional characters should be as well.

    Great book :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great interpretation! I know what you mean, when all of the characters seem perfect, the plot can become unrealistic.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'