Girls On YouTube

 
 
Hey Guys x
 
So recently, I've been thinking about the girls that we love to watch on YouTube.
 
There are many categories that the girls that I watch fall into. I watch beauty-guru's, bloggers, vloggers, film makers, singers and more.
 
And, after watching this episode of Becoming YouTube (Ben Cook's series), I was inspired to write a post about the girls that are on YouTube.
 
You can watch the episode of Becoming YouTube below!
 
 
Basically, within the YouTube community, there has been a bit of conflict because some female YouTubers felt like beauty gurus were considered less important than female vloggers.
 
I can understand this.
 
Sometimes, it feels like vlogging is considered a talent while being a beauty-guru is just a hobby, which isn't totally fair. Although I'm not into the whole make-up thing, I do believe that make-up is a very creative and artistic thing, and the vloggers who do this are talented.
 
However, what I have seen, and what you'll probably see too, is that there are so many more people watching beauty guru's than watching vloggers or filmmakers, which I don't think is fair.
 
For women, I think that it's so much harder to get noticed as a vlogger than it is to get noticed as a beauty-guru because make-up is something that most girls share, whereas, if you don't have good content, then no one will watch you.
 
But some vloggers have amazing content, and are still not really noticed because their channel doesn't consist of make-up tutorials and hauls, which again, isn't fair.
 
Because of this, a lot of people think that, to be a successful female on YouTube, you have to be a beauty-guru, which I don't believe is the case.
 
Success doesn't always have to be measured by the amount of subscribers that you have.
 
Personally, if I were a YouTuber, I would rather have 100,000 really loyal subscribers that love my content, than 10,000,000 subscribers that are just subscribed because everyone else is.
 
This brings me to the second point that I want to make on this topic.
 
The reason that girls would rather watch male vloggers than female filmmakers.
 
I have a theory on this, from my own personal experience.
 
When I first got into YouTube, I got into it because of the male vloggers that my friends were watching. And yes, I watched them because they were good-looking.
 
And I had not started watching filmmakers (or the people surrounding them, like editors, directors, camera crew etc) until October. This is because, I think it's much easier to watch a vlogger do a challenge collab with another vlogger than to wait for someone to produce and make a short-film, we lose patience.
 
Now, I will wait for months to see good short film (come on Jack and Dean!) because I appreciate all the time and work that goes into making one.
 
But I'm not going to go into this too much as I'm going to do a rant about it at some other time.
 
But a reason why girls may not watch filmmakers, is because there is a lack of female filmmakers in the YouTube community.
 
Of all the people I watch, the only female filmmaker that I'm subscribed to is Hazel Hayes, who is completely amazing. But I wish there were more.
 
The problem is, if there are no female filmmakers for us to look up to, then none of us will want to be female filmmakers ourselves, because we'll be convinced that only guys can do it, which isn't the case! (Just look at Hazel's channel!)
 
I'm definitely rambling now, but the main points of this post are:
 
Don't just watch what everyone else is watching
Don't think that girls can only be beauty-gurus
Being a beauty-guru is a talent
Watch some vloggers and filmmakers, they're awesome!
Don't let anything stop you from being a YouTuber yourself!
 
And the final thing: If you're looking for a reason to do something different with your blog or YouTube channel, this is the reason!
 
Thank you for reading.
 
Comment below you're favourite type of YouTuber to watch and why!
 
Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. This is such an amazing post! You basically just typed everything that I feel about females on YouTube, thank you so much for writing this post!

    Carolyn x
    Carolyn’s Simple Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're welcome! Thank you for reading it xx

      Delete
  2. My absolute dream would be to become a youtuber and I don't mind if 10 people subscribe or 100 people subscribe, I just don't want to follow a certain path- I'm not that good at makeup etc but I like giving tips on it. It's just I don't know how to get started. and also I don't want to get laughed at by people at school :( which sounds weak,
    loved this post!
    ~basicallychloe xx www.basicallychloe.blogspot.com
    Don't forget to smile! :) ~ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say go for it! Don't worry about what other people think! And if you need a first viewer, feel free to send me a link! xx

      Delete
  3. I really love this post because I myself have always wanted to do youtube. I'm not necessarily the beauty guru type because I don't really know how to do all of that. I do love to watch them though! but I love to watch vloggers more. So if I ever did decide to make a youtube video I would want to do something more vlogger style. But I've always hesitated because of the same reason that you pointed out, maybe no one will watch if I don't have beauty related content. Then I'm like well who cares! I'll do this because I want to not because other people will watch. My point is (sorry got off topic) that you have made feel very inspired :) haha

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go for it, make content that you want to make! Aw, I'm glad you feel inspired! xx

      Delete
  4. I love becoming YouTube. This post raised some very good points. I definitely think its harder for girls to become noticed on YouTube if they don't talk about beauty xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'