The DUFF | Film Review



Hey Guys x

I went to see this film yesterday for one of my best friend's birthdays and immediately wanted to review it.

I know that the film is originally a book, but as I haven't read the book, my review is purely based on the film.

However, I know that one of my friends who had read the book, felt differently about the movie than I did.

Anyway, let me get on with the review!

The film is about a girl called Bianca. She notices that, while in school, nobody pays attention to her, instead, only speaking to her two best friends Jess and Casey, who are more popular than her and branded 'prettier'. She doesn't think anything of this, until her ex-friend and neighbour Wesley tells Bianca that she is the DUFF (Designated ugly fat friend). Bianca denies this, but when she thinks about it, she realises that this is the case in her high school. So her solution is to ask Wes to 'un-duff' her, and in exchange, she'll help him pass science. But as Bianca learns about relationships, popularity and high school, she wonders: is being popular worth changing everything?

I for one, quite enjoyed this film.

To be honest, it's a typically teenage comedy in the fact that, it doesn't really make you think too deeply about things, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

One thing I loved about this film, was that the normal rules of typical American high schools didn't necessarily apply. It was kind of like, almost anyone apart from the main popular girls, could be discriminated against, which I liked. Also, the fact that there were different levels of popularity. For example, Bianca's friends were popular, but they weren't as popular as other people in the school, which was realistic.

I also love Bianca's relationship with Wes throughout the film. I don't want to give too much away, but I like the fact that you can stop talking to someone, but when you speak to them again, you kind of catch up on all the lost years. That's like the best kind of friendship!

Also, I just loved the way the film ended. When I left the cinema, although it didn't make me think deeply about anything and was just a nice film to watch, I kind of felt a bit more confident in myself, and a bit happier in who I was, which was just a really weird and nice experience.

However, there were some things about the film that I didn't like.

We didn't really get a background on any of the characters, so, apart from the main girl Bianca, it was really hard to understand them or sympathise with them.

Also, I just think the popular girls were really weird. I mean, they weren't the prettiest in the film, and yet they thought they were being worshipped. However, no one in the film actually acknowledged them with any popularity. It was weird, they interacted with no one else in the school, but were supposedly the most popular? That didn't make sense to me.

And Wes was another person that was weird. He was dating the main popular girl Madison on and off, however, he claimed to be this cool guy who was confident and could make his own decisions, but when Madison clicked her fingers, he came running, which was really annoying. He claimed to have all this confidence, but he didn't prove this in any way.  I liked his character, I just felt that it was less 'jock' than it was supposed to be.

Overall, I really did enjoy this film. It was a really nice film to sit and watch with friends, and I do want to watch it again.

And I know that this isn't supposed to be important, but the guy who played Wes was REALLY hot, and it made the film so much more enjoyable!

Thank you for reading

Comment below whether or not you're going to see this film!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. omg I saw this movie and loved it! Plus, you're right, Robbie Amell is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the film yesterday and LOVED it!!
    Remember when Robbie Amell was on True jackson VP?
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never watched it, but I definitely will if he's in it! xx

      Delete
  3. I've really been meaning to watch this film. I've read quite a few reviews about it and I have to say yours was one of the best xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually kind of liked that about Wes's character. Well not the part about him running back to Madison, I agree that was really annoying.I think what I liked about his character though was the fact that you can't really judge a person by their cover. People put faces on everyday. What we see might not be what is really there you know? So although we perceived Wesley as this confident person. He really wasn't, he has difficulties just as much as the next person.

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean! That's kind of what the film was about xx

      Delete
  5. I saw the advert for this film the other day and wasn't sure if it looked that great but I might watch it after your review as it sounds quite good
    The Lipstick, The Girl and Her Wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to see this film. It looks really good, the only issue I have is that the girl is not fat and is not ugly. Bit weird to call the film that but I still want to see it xx
    Chloe x
    https://professionaldaydreamerx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, but it's still a good film xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

One Day | TV Show Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'