Book Review #22: The Pointless Book by Alfie Deyes

 
If you don't watch YouTubers videos, or haven't heard of Alfie Deyes, then this book may have just gone over your head. But to the fans of Alfie (including myself) this was an exciting buy! I talked about this book in Monday's post, 'Bookshelf tour' and I said that it was going to be today's review. I have to say, this is not the type of book that I have reviewed so far, as it isn't a novel.
 
This is what I, and most people call an interactive book.
 
This book is 192 pages of fun activities to do when you have nothing else to do. This sounds bad, but this is what the book was designed to do. Give you a few hours of something 'pointless' to do to make your time a little less pointless. And it certainly serves it's purpose! The pages are so inventive and interesting. My favourite thing about this book is that some of the pages really take on the word 'interactive'! If you get 'The Pointless App' (free from the app store, both apple and android) then on certain pages, you can hold your phone to the screen and get either the particular page filled with Alfie's own answers, or you get a short video of him doing the particular activity. If you're going to get the book, the app is completely worth it.
 
Ignoring the fact that I am such a huge fan of Alfie, I still think this idea (as there are books that are similar to this, such as 'Wreck This Journal') is a great one, and I love some of Alfie's ideas for the pages. One I particularly love is 'Write your five favourite things about yourself and why' because I think that it encourages positive thinking, and it allows the people reading the book to actually think about good things about themselves.
 
What is good?
As I said, I love the different ideas in the book, and I love the fact that all of the pages are just fun. There's nothing too serious that you have to concentrate on (for example, 'rip the corners of this page') but it provides a few minutes of fun to someone who may just be bored out of their mind. I also love the app. This is because, for some pages in the book, they require being ripped out. But with the app, you are able to download the pages that you have ripped out so that you can complete them again and again. I thought this was an amazing touch!
 
What is bad?
The only bad thing about this book is that, as I have said, there are a few books that already have the 'I've started it, you finish it' theme, but it's so far the best one I've read (not that I've read that many!)
 
Overall
If you're a fan of Alfie, I'd obviously suggest buying this book. When reading it, you can literally imagine him thinking of it and hear his answers in the questions, which as a fan, I love. If you're not a fan, I'd still suggest buying this book because it's a really nice book with a good idea. However, be aware that as great as this book is, there are cheaper alternatives.
 
Thank you for reading.
 
Comment below whether or not you're going to get this book!

Comments

  1. I've got this book and I'm actually really enjoying it, all I will say is that I've found that origami is defiantly not for me haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, I love doing the activities! xx

      Delete
  2. I've heard so much about this! I think it sounds so cool although yeah there are other books out there like this, I think the app/video things are cool though! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great, a really good twist on the idea! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

April Favourites | 2015