Book Review #21: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

 
I have had this book for so many years! I was so surprised when I heard that it was going to be made into a movie because I loved it so much when I first read it, but I never expected it to get 'big'. This is because it was a book that I had to tell people about, rather than a book that I was told about.
 
Mia Hall is 17, and a somewhat ordinary girl. She has been brought up with music. Her parents are completely obsessed with rock and she loves classical, playing the cello. Even Teddy, the baby of the family, loves music. With her cool rocker boyfriend and equally cool (to Mia) brash, harsh, Jewish best friend, Mia loves her life, and why shouldn't she? She has it better than most! But a split second can change everything. It could have been the snow on the ground, it could have been the distracting music, or even the other driver. But no matter what it was, everything changes and Mia is left with a tough decision to make. But witnessing everything around her can have negative and positive consequences. And is the choice to stay really a choice to let go?
 
Mia, or the character of Mia, is literally one of my favourite people in the entire world! I love the fact that, while she's at school, she is the studious quiet 'good' girl who plays the cello and keeps to herself, but when she's at home and around people she's comfortable with, she turns into a cool rocker-chick that all her fellow students would be envious of. She's obsessed with music, and she doesn't care that it's a different genre than everyone else. She's a great character because she knows what she wants, she's not afraid to be herself, and she's a 17 year old that is so mature that she's literally an adult. What's not to love?
 
What is good?
The concept of the story is unique and great that I can't even begin to describe it. As the film is coming out in many places within the next few weeks, I'm tying my hardest not to give away too much about anything, but I think that Gayle Forman is an amazing author and the way that the book is written really makes me want to read it over and over again. It's also the type of book that, every time I read it, I discover something new about one of the characters, which is a great thing about the book. The detail is too high to all be taken in at one sitting.
 
What is bad?
As unique as the book is, and as much as I love it, sometimes the flashbacks were slightly confusing because I couldn't tell what was in the past and what was in the present the first time I read it. However, when I read it a second time, it was much easier to understand.
 
Overall
If you want to see this film, read the book first! Not only will it put the film into context for you, but the book gives you so much more detail than the film possibly ever could! And even if the film doesn't particularly appeal to you, I would still suggest that you read this book. You won't regret it!
 
Thank you for reading.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the film of this book soon!
 
Comment below if you are going to see the film!

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List