Suncoast | Film Review


Doris (Nico Parker) spends her time helping her mother (Laura Linney) take care of her brother (Cree Kawa). Growing resentful, she begins to rebel, and strikes up a friendship with an activist (Woody Harrelson) protesting a landmark medical case.

I didn't know anything about this film before watching it. All I knew was that it was new, and I like all three of the main actors, and that was enough for me to watch it!

I really really liked this movie.

The audience is able to take an instant liking to Doris because we take an almost instant disliking to her mother. Or at least, I did! 

The actors are the strongest thing about the movie, and they are all amazing in their roles. Linney and Harrelson are great in everything, so that wasn't really a surprise, but Nico Parker absolutely carried the film and did such a good job with it. Before this I had only seen her in 'The Last of Us', so now I'm a huge fan!

Doris is such a sweet, interesting character. One of the reasons I loved the film so much was because I loved spending time with her.

But in addition to Doris, all of the characters are really complex and incredibly well-written. There is so much going on beneath the surface for each of them, and nothing is black-and-white.

Speaking of the writing, so many lines throughout the film were an emotional gut-punch. That emotion definitely sneaks up on you!

Overall, this is a heart-breaking, beautiful, sweet story that's definitely worth a watch!

7/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Office Space | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #128: The Dream Home by T. M. Logan

Baby Reindeer | TV Show Review

Strange Way of Life | Short Film Review

Imaginary | Film Review