All of Us Strangers | Film Review

 

On the cusp of a new relationship, Adam (Andrew Scott) is repeatedly drawn to his childhood home, where his parents appear to be living exactly as they were before they died 30 years prior.

I was really excited to see this film. I needed to get the Oscar Best Picture nominees out of the way, but as soon as I was done, I was ready to see it!

I loved this film! I kind of guessed I would, but I didn't know how much.

The story is beautiful. So original and complex, you kind of don't even know what's really happening until you're fully in it, and I love that. You really have to see it to get it.

The writing was incredible, so poignant. It's one of those stories where you can feel the filmmaker's passion on the screen, and that just made me even more invested in the story. There were so many perfect lines that will stay with you long after the credits roll.

But aside from the writing, the acting in this film is incredible. As well as Andrew Scott, the film also stars Paul Mescal, Jamie Bell and Claire Foy, and they were all phenomenal. Their characters all had really specific purposes that made the film as amazing as it was. I think there's at least one line from each of the characters that could still make me cry.

The film is such an interesting exploration of love, sexuality, grief, loneliness and so much more. Everyone can take something different away from it because there is so much involved. The complexities of human emotion are particularly explored through Scott's character, who was an amazing protagonist.

I think the thing that got me the most was the relationship between Adam and his parents, and specifically the implications of the loss of this relationship. Because as much as I liked the romantic side of the story, the parental love was what I'm still thinking about days later.

Another thing about the film that stands out was the music, which was perfect. But as well as that, the use of sound and silence. 

Overall, this film should have been nominated for at least 7 Oscars - every actor should have received a nomination, as well as the film itself, the director and the screenplay. It's an amazing watch, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

8.5/10


Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion