Saw X | Film Review

Saw is one of my absolute favourite franchises, so of course I was always going to see this. Knowing it took place around the 1st and 2nd movies was exciting because it had the possibility of bring back some old characters - most excitingly, Jigsaw himself.

In search of a cure for his brain cancer, John Kramer (Tobin Bell) travels to Mexico for an experimental procedure. But after discovering that the company behind this procedure is actually running a scam, he uses his old tricks to stop the con artists once and for all.

I liked this film, but I didn't love it, and I hate that I didn't love it!

It had a better story that a lot of the other Saw movies. Rather than the audience having to figure out the connection between the group of characters as we go along, we see this connection from the beginning and know exactly why Jigsaw has chosen these people, which I liked.

I could have definitely watched more of it - by the time it finished it felt like it was just getting started.

It was interesting that the film did so much to make Jigsaw a sympathetic character. There has always been an element of this, but in the other movies he is seen as the bad guy first, and then we begin to understand why certain people are chosen. But in this one he is shown as a straight victim, and that was somewhat odd.

My biggest bugbear about this film was that there weren't enough traps, and not enough gore. Now I'm sure a lot of people were happy about that, but for me, the gorier the better! That's what I watch these movies for, so I really would have liked to see more of it.

Having said that, the traps they did include were very inventive and fun to watch.

I liked seeing some older characters come back. I won't spoil anything, so I'll just say that seeing Tobin Bell again was really nice.

The problem with setting this film so specifically within a 10-film franchise is that it feels like it has no impact on the other movies. Ultimately whether it was good or not, it didn't feel necessary. Like, if the plot was completely different it wouldn't matter. 

It had a very different tone to the other movies, and at times feels more like a thriller than a horror.

So while I'd definitely watch another Saw movie (I'd watch as many as they want to make!) I would much prefer seeing a sequel than another prequel.

Overall, I liked this movie. It wasn't everything I wanted to be, but it was a lot more interesting than some of the others in the franchise, and it was definitely worth seeing it in the cinema.

6.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List