Talk to Me | Film Review

I heard about this film when it first came out but I was only mildly curious about it and didn't know the concept before watching. I'm always wary of A24 horror movies because I tend not to like them generally, but I still wanted to see if I'd like this one.

A group of friends discover how to conjure spirits with the help of an embalmed hand. But when one of them goes too far, will they be able to stop the spirits from being unleashed?

Unfortunately, this is another A24 movie that I didn't really like as much as I wanted to; which I was somewhat surprised about because of the plethora of positive reviews. I didn't hate the film, but I thought I would like it a lot more.

It's an interesting and original concept, and the idea itself is captured really well on screen.

The characters were non-descript and didn't really have personalities. In fact I'm struggling to remember what anyone other than the main character was called.

My major issue with the characters was that everyone is either unlikeable, or not worth thinking about. I never cared about anyone, and that didn't change as the story continued.

It wasn't as scary as I wanted it to be.

A lot of the film is just characters making bad decisions, and this can be annoying to watch over and over again for 90 minutes.

I didn't care enough about the story to care about the ending, though I was confused by it. I feel like the last 15 minutes spiralled and I couldn't keep track of what was supposed to be happening.

Overall, I appreciate the story's concept and originality, but I didn't really like the way the story was told.

3.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List