Love Again | Film Review

I only remember seeing one trailer for this film ages ago, so while it was always on my radar, I wasn't thinking too much about it by the time it came out. But I was glad it finally did!

To cope with the loss of her fiancé, Mira (Priyanka Chopra Jonas) texts his old phone number, not knowing that her messages are being received by a stranger (Sam Heughan).

I liked the premise of this film a lot more than the execution.

I really liked the characters, and the cast (which includes Sofia Barclay, Russell Tovey, Nick Jonas and Celine Dion) did a great job with their respective roles.

The thought definitely crossed my mind that I would love to see a Celine-based Mamma Mia-esque musical!

My problem with the film was that, after the novelty of the original idea, it pretty much just becomes a generic rom-com, and while this was what I wanted in some ways, the story wasn't interesting enough.

Towards the end of the film the writing becomes a bit too cheesy for me. Now, some cheese in a rom-com is always welcome, but it started to feel unrealistic for these characters.

The third-act conflict wasn't explored deeply enough, and it made Sam Heughan's character, Rob, a bit unlikeable to me.

I also wrote in my notes that the ending lost the film for me, but despite only watching the film a couple of days ago, I have no memory of what the ending actually was, which I think says a lot.

Overall this is a cute rom-com that quickly becomes generic and not fun - though it was definitely fun seeing Celine Dion playing herself!

4.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List