Bones and All | Film Review

I remember the reaction to this when it initially came out. I had no idea what it was about, but people had really strong, either positive or negative, reactions to it. So when it finally became available, I watched it as soon as I could.

Maren (Taylor Russell) is trying to escape her past when she meets Lee (Timothée Chalamet), trying to do the same thing. The pair quickly discover how alike they are, and continue to travel together to escape the darkness they share.

This is a weird one. I can't say I enjoyed, or even really liked, the film. But I didn't find it as disturbing or abhorrent as others might have. 

Going in blind is a bit jarring - I'd definitely recommend reading up a bit on what it's actually about before watching it.

It is weird in the same vein as 'Fresh' or 'The Menu' to an extent, but I feel like even if you're a fan of that weird genre, this is still weirder than you think it might be.

Taylor Russell and Timothée Chalamet and undeniably great in the movie. No matter how I feel about the plot, they played their parts perfectly.

Having said that, I felt no connection to the characters, which was more to do with the writing than acting. I suspect this might be how the film is supposed to be, but because I couldn't connect to the characters, I quickly found myself getting bored, which feels odd for a story like this.

The themes of abandonment and loneliness are interesting and put forth in a unique way, but I didn't feel like those themes on their own were strong enough to ground the story.

It's not a bad film by any means, but I had trouble believing everything that happened, and the parts that were believable weren't that interesting.

Overall, not only would I not watch this film again, but I also wouldn't really recommend it. I have no idea who to recommend it to!

4/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List