Shotgun Wedding | Film Review


I was really looking forward to seeing this film when I first saw the trailer. It looked fun and original, and I was really intrigued to see how the premise would be executed.

Darcy (Jennifer Lopez) and Tom (Josh Duhamel) are preparing to get married, dealing with their entire families merging as well as their own cold feet. But when the wedding party are taken hostage hours before the wedding, it seems this pair may never make it down the aisle.

I didn't like this movie as much as I wanted to. I still love the premise, but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been.

The cast was amazing. In addition to Lopez and Duhamel, the film stars Jennifer Coolidge, Sonia Braga, Cheech Martin, D'Arcy Carden and Lenny Kravitz, and they were all amazing in their roles from the very beginning.

It was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, especially at the beginning.

The threat of the wedding party being taken hostage didn't feel particularly threatening. I never worried about the fates of the characters, and at times it just didn't feel real at all.

I feel like this cast would have been better suited to a more grounded wedding comedy, a la 'Father of the Bride'. The characters themselves are much better than the story.

When the novelty of the situation wore off, while it was still original, it wasn't that fun.

Overall, while it may be worth watching if you like the sound of the premise, for me it was just fine, and at points even a bit boring. Probably not one I'll watch again.

4/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List