I Love My Dad | Film Review

I knew absolutely nothing about this film before watching it. It came out on the Sky Premiere channel, and had a somewhat interesting, definitely surprising premise, so I watched it on a whim.

A father (Patton Oswald), desperate to connect with his estranged son (James Morosini), poses as a woman online, causing the young boy to form a bond with his new 'girlfriend'. But soon he wants to meet her in person...

I was sceptical about the film because of the premise. I thought it would be really weird, and a bit gross honestly, so I was surprised that I actually liked it.

My first thought while watching it was that it would be a great episode of Catfish!

The concept is funny/weird, but it's also quite sad. There are a lot of layers to the story, which is why it works as well as it does.

I like the way the 'catfish' scenes are filmed. They are really creative and obviously try (and sometimes succeed) in making the scenes, and general concept, less creepy.

The story is easy to follow and keeps the audience entertained. Though it is a lot darker than I initially expected.

The film is in equal parts weird/creepy and heartwarming, and I had a great time with it.

Overall I'd definitely recommend this film. It probably won't be what you expect, and that's definitely a good thing!

6/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List