The Flash | Film Review

I wasn't really planning to see this film. I haven't really tuned into the DCEU since Justice League, so as much as I loved the movies in the lead-up to that, I wasn't interested in what came after. But I found myself unexpectedly free one afternoon, this was on, so I thought why not.

When Barry Allen/Flash (Ezra Miller) goes back in time to save his family, he drastically alters the future, causing defeated enemies to return and alternative heroes to save the day.

I liked this more than I thought I would, but I definitely still have problems with it.

I loved the continuation of the Justice League story. It was nice seeing a familiar face or two, and knowing that there's still at least a tenuous connection to the other movies. It really reminded me of how much I loved the Justice League cast/characters.

The time travel aspect of the film isn't really explained and doesn't actually make that much sense. It's easy to suspend your disbelief, but it is something that you definitely notice.

Making an old villain the main villain of a new story felt weird. It was basically dredging up things that were finished and forgotten 10 years ago.

The first third is the best, the second third starts to wane, and the third is a mess.

I didn't like the new versions of old characters. There was no time to get to know them and they felt like a pointless addition. Especially to someone who didn't grow up with other versions of these characters.

A lot has been said about the AI cameos in the film, and it felt really weird and unnecessary to include them. It also didn't really help the plot in any way.

The film is almost 2 and a half hours, and that was way too long. This story could have been told in 90 minutes.

By the end of the film, it felt like nothing really changed from the beginning to the end.

Overall, while this movie was okay, there are definitely major flaws that can't be overlooked. As much as I love the Justice League cast and their version of the DCEU, it probably is time for it to come to an end.

5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List