Palm Springs | Film Review

 

When I watched 'The Map of Tiny Perfect Things', so many of the comments went something like this: 'it's fine, but not as good as Palm Springs'. I had no idea what Palm Springs was, and after researching, I loved the premise (which was very similar to 'The Map...'), so I was really glad to hear that it was coming out on Amazon Prime Video.

Nyles (Andy Samberg) and Sarah (Cristin Milioti) meet at a wedding. After a series of events, they wake up the next morning trapped in a time loop that they can't escape. As they try to navigate the loop, and their newfound feelings for each other, will they ever escape this day?

I loved this film. I've heard such good things about it, and it really lives up to the reputation.

I took an instant liking to the character of Nyles, who is the first protagonist we're introduced to. But both of the protagonists are such great characters. They're both really well-written, and they had the perfect personalities for this story. You believe these characters, and you believe the world that they're living in.

We're seeing the basic concept of a time-loop more and more lately in films, and I still find it a relatively interesting jumping-off point. What's great about this film is that it jumps off into something unique and interesting.

For some reason, I didn't expect the film to be as heartfelt as it was. There are so many unexpected layers to the story. Because of that, you find yourself getting really invested in the story, and in the lives of these characters.

I loved seeing Nyles and Sarah's relationship develop. We get to know them as they get to know each other, and their blossoming romance was crafted really well. They're a better couple than a lot of the couples that come out of purely romantic movies.

The only thing I didn't like about the story is the same thing that I find frustrating about all time-loop movies. There's never a good explanation. Why did the loop happen? Why are they stuck in it? How do they get out? This one tries harder than a lot of others, but it still leaves more questions than answers. But having said that, I thought the ending was really sweet.

Overall, this is a really interesting, sweet, unique movie. It's on Amazon Prime Video and I would really encourage everyone to give it a go.

8/10



   

Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion