The Map of Tiny Perfect Things | Film Review

 

I knew absolutely nothing about this film before I watched it. It is an Amazon Original movie, and was recommended to me when it came out on Amazon Prime, which is how I found it. After reading the premise, I was interested to see where it would go.

Mark (Kyle Allen) continuously lives the same day, and he has perfected his daily routine. Until one day, he discovers something he hadn't accounted for - someone else stuck in the same time loop. As Mark and Margaret (Kathryn Newton) try to find the tiny perfect things that make up their never-ending day, they soon have to discover if they can, and if they want to, leave their time loop.

I liked this film, but I didn't love it as much as I could have.

This film had a really great opening. We get to know the character of Mark really well in a really short space of time.

I really liked the fact that the movie begins in the middle of the time loop, rather than showing us the character being really confused and having to work out what's happening to them. We've seen that enough times.

Even though the time loop premise has been done countless times, having two people stuck in the same loop is really unique, and it's a great way to connect two characters.

Speaking of the characters, they are the reason that the story works. They're really likeable and unique. While it took me a little while to warm to Margaret (because we meet her later than Mark and don't really know where we stand with her), Mark is a character that I loved almost instantly. I really liked spending time with these people. I think they'd work really well in a variety of different movies because of how well they have been developed.

I found that the movie itself wasn't that entertaining. The two premises of the time loop and the romance were interesting when put together, but as the film went on, it became more of a generic YA romcom.

It didn't hold my attention as much as I wanted it to, particularly in the middle. The beginning and the lead-up to the end, for me, were the best parts.

Overall, this is a nice story with a great message, but it wasn't as unique as the premise would suggest.

5.5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review