Don't Look Now | 100 Movies Bucket List
I hadn't heard of this film before seeing it on the bucket list, and the premise was quite vague, so it felt like I was going in blind, which is always fun.
The movie was okay, but I didn't like it as much as I wanted to.
You get into the story right away - not only do you feel sympathy with the family from almost the very beginning, but you're invested in their story even when you don't know what direction the movie is going in.
If you go in blind, it takes a long time to really understand what the movie is about or where it's going. After about 15 minutes, the plot seems to slow down, and other than getting to know the characters, not much happens.
It's the kind of film that takes you along for the ride. We experience things alongside the characters, we have as much information as they do, and as more unexplainable things happen, we become more and more invested in how everything will end.
The characters are great. Even though we don't know much about the main characters' lives before this point, it's easy to like them and to become invested in their world.
It moves a bit slower than I would have liked. Because incidents take place sparingly, what happens between them can feel bland at times. We care more about finding out what's happening than about the characters' lives, but the film seems to think the opposite.
The acting is fantastic. Both of the main actors do a really great job with their characters. They feel authentic, they're easy to empathise with, and they're really easy to like and engage with.
In terms of the slowness of the plot, throughout the film I thought that this would speed up when we got more into the film, but after finishing it, it appears to have just been a choice. Because of that, everything felt a bit long-winded, and longer than it actually was.
I was interested in how the film would end, but there were times when getting to this ending felt a bit boring.
And even when you get to the end and understand what has been happening, it still feels like the film was longer than it needed to be.
Getting to the end of the film, it has an ending that makes the whole film more interesting, which is great. But it wasn't powerful enough to make me want to re-watch or go back and see things I may have missed.
So overall, I'm glad I've seen the film, and there are some great things about it (the acting in particular) but it's probably not one I'd go back to.


Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment xx